The End Of Four Swords

In high anticipation of the upcoming battle, Vaati flew to the roof of his palace to await Links arrival. Along the way he thought to himself about what Princess Zelda had said to him earlier. He just couldn't come to terms with the fact that she thought he would be able to live a normal life if he stopped the fight with Link and set her free. Of course, she had most likely only said that in a final attempt to escape to safety without her precious Link being harmed, but there was a small part of Vaati that wished what she said was really true. Did he really have the possibility of normality after all?

Shaking his head, Vaati cleared his mind of these impossible dreams. Like that would ever happen, and on top of all that the princess had the audacity to ask him if he had any regret. Of course he didn't, everything he did was exactly what he wanted, wasn't it? He was a great sorcerer, the most powerful in the land! He didn't regret anything...

But was that really true? Hadn't there been times when he wished he wasn't a monster, and that people wouldn't scream and run away upon seeing his face? That he could just be normal and not all powerful, if only for a day? Trying to clear his head of these thoughts, Vaati argued to himself. No, this is exactly what I wanted to happen with my life. I refuse to let that princess change my views on past decisions. What has been done is done, and that's all there is to it. Nothing I do now can change anything, for the future is practically set in stone already.

Vaati reached the roof of the palace and hovered in midair into the shadows of one of the many tall pillars sticking up into the sky, waiting for Link to arrive. Within minutes he heard a disturbance coming from the staircase which led from the bottom level of the palace to the roof.

"Hurry up, Red!"

"I really am trying, but Blue keeps getting in my way!"

"No I don't!"

"Yes you do!"

"Would you guys just shut up please? You're getting on my nerves."

"How about you shut up, hmm Vio?"

"Both of you, stop fighting!"

"Green, just stay out of it!"

Sighing, Vaati realized that there were not one but four Links whom he would have to fight. Using the power of the legendary four sword, the original Link had split himself into four copies and was therefore four times as powerful as he was prior. Even though the odds were not on his side, Vaati was still overly confident that he would be able to beat the four Links with ease. With a laugh he realized that the Links were fighting amongst themselves, arguing over who went first up the stairs! If this kept up, Vaati was completely assured that he would win the battle.

By now the Links were almost at the top of the stairs, and their heated arguing continued. When they were about to enter onto roof however, they almost completely quieted down so that only the sound of their whispering voices could be heard. If they were trying to be sneaky, they were doing a terrible job of it. Smiling, Vaati reassured himself again that defeating these pesky brats would be simple.

Oh, how wrong he was.

Tentatively, the Links arrived at the top of the staircase and walked onto the roof. Now that they were in view, Vaati could see that the four Links looked exactly the same, except for the fact that they each wore a different coloured tunic. The one in green seemed to be the leader of all the Links, as he stood at the front of the group and was giving them instructions on what to do next. The Link dressed in blue was acting a bit hot headed, as he stood proudly with a tough attitude and kept looking around as though ready to strike at the first sign of danger. The one dressed in red was not as strong at first glance, for he stood timidly behind the one in blue with a look of pure and utmost innocence. Lastly, the one wearing purple had a look of intelligence about him, like he was already planning the best move to make and was trying to figure out possible dangers of the Links surroundings.