Questioning

Beat up and bloodied, Vaati and Lexi sat down on the nearest good sized rock with heaving sides and burning pain coming from their new wounds. They both looked as though they'd seen better days, and were almost passed out from exhaustion. Unable to keep their eyes open any longer, as it was now the middle of the night and they were both very tired, Vaati and Lexi soon fell softly asleep.

Lexi had a lovely, peaceful sleep. Curled up on the ground she sighed softly as she slept, looking as beautiful and youthful as an angel. She was the picture of grace, even with her injured arm, battered body and slightly torn clothing. Soundly she slept through the night, preparing to wake to a well-rested morning.

Vaati had a sleep that was the complete opposite of Lexi's. Unable to fall asleep even though he was tired, Vaati tossed and turned all night replaying the recent battle in his mind. When he did manage to reach subconsciousness, he had dreadful dreams and horrid nightmares of multi colored flying birds dropping lifelessly from the sky and his dead former friend, the one he had a hand in killing.

Waking abruptly some hours later in a cold sweat, Vaati immediately shielded his eyes from the bright sunlight shining down upon him. It was now late morning, and Vaati noticed Lexi already awake and trying to unsuccessfully tend to her own wounds.

"Good morning," Lexi said when she noticed Vaati awake. Her tone was chipper as usual, but it now contained a new, weary edge to it almost as though she was now unsure about him. He wasn't surprised, for yesterday he had preformed some pretty amazing magic without giving her an explanation of why he could do so. Sighing, he figured he was going to have to answer some of her questions if he wanted to keep her by his side as help.

The truth was that as much as he hated to admit it, he actually did want her help. He wouldn't have been able to defeat Helmaroc without her, and he knew that she was strong and would be useful for the two tasks he had left to complete.

"Morning," he said tiredly. Yawning and stretching his sore arms above his head, he asked her a question. "What are you doing exactly?"

"Oh, I'm just dealing with my wounds," she replied. "Well, I'm trying to atleast. So far it isn't working too well. My cut is pretty deep, I've not got any real medical supplies, and I used up my only bottle of red potion on you back when you got shocked by those electric chus."

"Ugh, seriously, how many times are you going to bring up those damn electric chus?" Vaati grumbled. He was in a sour mood, and Lexi bringing up his past failures wasn't helping things one bit. "Don't bother trying to mend that cut," he added as an afterthought. "I'll fix it."

Getting up slowly, Vaati limped over to where Lexi was sitting. He had to move at a slow pace and tried to walk on his injured foot as little as possible, for the place where Helmaroc's feather had stuck into it still hurt like you wouldn't believe.

When he reached Lexi, he knelt down beside her and held out a pale hand over the gash on her arm. "This won't hurt at all, just hold still. I don't usually use healing spells because they weaken me extraordinarily, but this is one of those times where I've got no other option."

Lexi instinctively flinched away. "I'm okay, thanks. I don't really..." She had wanted to say that she didn't trust his magic, but she knew that he wouldn't take to hearing that very well. "I don't want you to waste your energy on me," she finished lamely.

At this, Vaati rolled his eyes. "I can guess that you don't feel safe with my magic yet, but just let me use this spell and I'll explain anything you have to question me about after. Really, my dear, you could at least trust me a little."

Still unsure, Lexi moved her body so that her injured arm was right underneath Vaati's outstretched hand. "Okay," she said. "Do what you've got to do, but after this I want some real answers. Truthful ones."