An Ally

"Hey, wake up! You're breathing so that means you aren't dead, right? C'mon, please wake up!"

Slowly regaining consciousness and blinking profusely due to the harsh sunlight, Vaati opened his ruby red eyes. What had happened to him, and why was he lying on the ground in the dirt no less? He felt achy and sore all over, his body stung at every slight movement and his arms and legs felt numb from their recent paralysis.

Suddenly the memories came flooding back to him in a wave. He regretfully recalled the group of laughing moblins, the blasted electric chus, and the mysterious girl who had ended up being his savior in his embarrassing time of trouble...

But why had she still come to his rescue after he'd treated her so poorly and had clearly told her to get lost? It made no sense, and dammit, her actions dearly hurt his pride. She shouldn't have helped him! If she had been in trouble like he had, Vaati wouldn't have come to her aid, would he?

"Oh, thank the goddesses you're awake, I was so worried about you!"

Looking up, Vaati reluctantly met the bright violet eyes of the girl who saved him. She knelt over him, gazing back into his eyes with a worried yet relieved look on her face. Smiling, the girl said kindly, "I got rid of all the monsters for you, so if you want to rest here for a while it's safe to do so without the worry of being attacked again. I'm sure you've had a rough time, but everything is safe for you now." She spoke softly and consolingly to the battered mage.

Taken aback by her nice attitude, Vaati made a tart reply. "I'm absolutely fine, thank you very much. I haven't had a rough time and I most definitely don't need any help, especially not yours." He spoke to her acidly so to hide his embarrassment at being found in such a weak state. "I don't care if there are monsters around or not, and even if there are any I could handle them myself with ease."

Laughing, the girl relpied to Vaati brightly, much to his disdain. "Do you really think that you'd be able to handle some more electric chus in your sorry state? I hate to break it to you, but you couldn't even handle them when you were feeling well, so you obviously wont be able to deal with them right now! You should be thankful that I came to save you when I did, or else who knows what would have happened to you."

"I could have defeated them if you hadn't butted in," Vaati said in a desperate attempt to retain his better-than-thou attitude, though it was difficult to do so when this girl kept pointing out his recent failures. He was disliking this girl more and more with each passing moment.

Sighing, the girl replied with an undertone of exasperation. "Do you honestly believe that, or did you just say that to save your self absorbed pride?" She asked, with a slight hint of implied mockery and humor. "You're an interesting one. Usually a person would be grateful to have been saved from a fateful incident like that! Would you have preferred it if I'd left you there to die?"

"My dear," Vaati began arrogantly. "I'm neither grateful nor happy that you saved me, especially since you did so when I obviously didn't need any saving. And I wouldn't have died, though by the dear goddesses I'm sure that you wish I had died, and I would have handled the situation just fine on my own! I'm rather powerful, and don't you dare try to say that I'm not. You have no idea."

"I wouldn't wish death upon anybody, even on an ungrateful person like yourself. Aren't you the least bit glad that I helped you even though you didn't help me when I needed it? If anything, you should be thankful that I helped you out because you didn't deserve it. Why, I had to rescue you from a mere electric chu and you're saying that you're a force to be reckoned with!? From the looks of it, I'm much stronger then you are by a long shot!" The girl huffed angrily, finally getting fed up with the wind mage and his stuck up behavioral issues.