Chapter 1: Snowstorms

"Be like snow; beautiful, but cold." -Lana Del Rey

*

Present day

War. Guns. Shield. Bucky. Hydra. Pain. Cold. Peggy. Explosions. Fighting. 107. Shots. Ice. "Fall in, Rogers!" "Go get him! I can swim!" "I had a date." "Who the hell is Bucky?" "You're my mission." "I'm with you till the end of the line."

"Steve!" Glass shatters everywhere as the cup Steve Rogers is holding breaks from his pressurizing squeeze. Steve looks down at the broken glass now covering the countertop and sighs.

"Sorry," he mutters. Even the smallest things bring back so many memories. Just seeing a child in a kiddie pool is enough to let his memories swallow him whole. He's sick of it.

"C'mon, Fury needs us at S.H.I.E.L.D." Steve looks over at his best friend, James Buchanan Barnes, recent addition to the Avengers initiative as the Winter Soldier. Otherwise known as Bucky Barnes, best friend of Steve's for a very long time.

"Let's go then." Grabbing the keys to their motorcycles, the boys bolt downstairs and onto their bikes, racing each other to S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters (Steve always lets Bucky win).

"It is about damn time," Fury says impatiently when they arrive. "Take a look." He slides a Manila folder across the table at them. Steve greets Natasha as Bucky opens it.

"New soldier, huh?" he asks as he glances over the contents. Steve looks over his shoulder to read:

Identity: Inferno

Alter Ego: Unknown

Age: 50-90(?)

Power: Unknown

Other Information: None

"So all we know is their name?" Steve asks. "That's not much to go off of."

"He or she just recently showed up on the grid, but they seem to be from your time period according to their age," Natasha says, eyeing them suspiciously.

"What, you think we have them hiding somewhere?" Bucky taunts. He and Natasha got off on the wrong foot, and despite Steve's best efforts, they can't seem to get along.

"I never said that," Natasha replies coolly. "We'll know everything about them by tonight. That is, if they cooperate."

Steve looks her in the eye. "What're you talking about?"

"We know exactly where this person is going to be tonight," Fury says proudly. "It's all thanks to Stark. His new device lets us keep tabs on just about anybody."

"Well then lets suit up and go," Steve says, sudden excitement flooding through him for a new task. There's been nothing but stagnancy all week--he's itching to fight someone.

"Ah, ah. This is Agent Romanoff's mission," Fury says, making Steve's mood drop instantly. "She will blend in the most where she's going."

"And where could that be?" Bucky asks before Steve can.

"A party."

*

An hour later, Natasha is suited up and ready to go catch a mystery. Their mission isn't to kill this person of course, just catch them so they can interrogate. Anyone who has an alter ego and unknown powers is considered a threat; they're just taking precautions.

Using Stark's new device, she's able to locate the building this mystery person is in easily. It's lavish on the outside, tall and wide with skinny windows and revolving doors.