Capítulo 2 - Durante la Junta de Comité

Somehow, i left this part out of the original publication, now it is in its proper place. More to come soon, I hope you are enjoying it.

De alguna manera, dejé esta parte fuera de la publicación original, ahora está en su lugar. Más por venir pronto, espero que lo estés disfrutando.

EC

_____________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 2 - During the Board Meeting

Fernando sat through the remains of the meeting. Marcia disappeared for a few minutes to get some reports, but time seemed to have lost all meaning. He had seen Lety step out the door of his office and he knew that she was hurting. He remembered the conversation they had about Miguel, the night he realized how much hurt he could cause her if she ever found out what he was doing. The conversation he had with Omar after the fact about how she would die of sadness and that was what he saw in her eye. The look he saw in her eyes during the meeting and even when she spoke to him reminded him of that conversation, reminded him that the bitterness he saw was sadness and it was as if her eyes were dead. As if the life and love they had once held had been extinguished.

Fernando pasó el resto de la reunión. Marcia desapareció durante unos minutos para obtener algunos informes, pero el tiempo parecía haber perdido todo significado. Había visto a Lety salir por la puerta de su despacho y sabía que estaba sufriendo. Recordó la conversación que habían tenido sobre Miguel, la noche en que se dio cuenta de cuánto daño podía causarle si alguna vez se enteraba de lo que estaba haciendo. La conversación que tuvo con Omar después del hecho de cómo iba a morir de tristeza y eso fue lo que vio en sus ojos. La mirada que vio durante la reunión e incluso cuando ella le habló le recordó esa conversación, le recordó que la amargura que vio era tristeza y era como si sus ojos estuvieran muertos. Como si la vida y el amor que habían sostenido una vez habían sido extinguidos.

Fernando felt anguish deep in his soul. He felt like he had killed her, the only woman he had ever loved. His mind got lost in the memories, the beautiful memories, of his love for her, of making love to her. The memories of Cuernavaca, Germany, the night they spent in his house. The time they had spent getting to know each other, learning about each other. He remembered the first time he told her that he loved her. It had come from somewhere inside of him, a place that felt the need to protect her and shelter her. A place from which he just wanted her happiness because she was so sweet, innocent, tender. She had given herself to him that night in a way that still confounded him.

Fernando sintió angustia en el fondo de su alma. Sentía que la había matado, la única mujer que había amado. Su mente se perdió en los recuerdos, en los hermosos recuerdos, en su amor por ella, en hacerle el amor. Los recuerdos de Cuernavaca, Alemania, la noche que pasaron en su casa. El tiempo que habían pasado para conocerse, aprendiendo sobre el otro. Recordó la primera vez que le dijo que la amaba. Había venido de algún lugar dentro de él, un lugar que sentía la necesidad de protegerla y refugiarla. Un lugar del que sólo quería su felicidad porque era tan dulce, inocente, tierno. Ella se había entregado a él esa noche de una manera que aún le confundía.

Something in the meeting brought his attention back to the present. His father was talking about a way to repay the debt and recover the company. Fernando knew the best way to take care of it was to let things stay as they were, he started to tell them just that but they shut him down.

Algo en la reunión le devolvió la atención al presente. Su padre estaba hablando de una manera de pagar la deuda y recuperar la empresa. Fernando sabía que la mejor manera de arreglárselas era dejar que las cosas estuvieran como estaban, empezó a decirles eso, pero lo hicieron callar.

The door opened and out of habit he looked up as Marcia returned to the boardroom. He stared on in disbelief as she cancelled the wedding after a brief monologue. He didn't know whether to feel relief or confusion. Her words were not registering, his brain was in a fog as she reproached him for betraying her not only in the company and also personally. He thought she was talking about the constant suspicions she had, but nothing more. When the reality of what she was saying finally penetrated the fog, relief washed over him in realizing that he did not have to cancel the wedding and that she did it herself. He did not fully understand everything that was happening but he had a hard time caring at that moment.

La puerta se abrió y por costumbre alzó la vista cuando Marcia regresó a la sala de juntas. Se quedó mirando incrédulamente mientras cancelaba la boda después de un breve monólogo. No sabía si sentir alivio o confusión. Sus palabras no se registraron, su cerebro estaba en una niebla mientras le reprochaba por traicionarla no sólo en la compañía y también personalmente. Pensó que estaba hablando de las constantes sospechas que tenía, pero nada más. Cuando la realidad de lo que estaba diciendo finalmente penetró en la niebla, el alivio se apoderó de él al darse cuenta de que no tenía que cancelar la boda y que ella misma lo hacía. No entendía completamente todo lo que estaba sucediendo, pero en ese momento no le importaba.