Capítulo 14 - El Mar

Chapter 14 - The Sea

Leticia let herself back into her room. She showered and changed her clothes quickly, choosing the green skirt with a printed blouse and then she carefully hung up the rest of the clothing in the closet. She spent a few moments admiring the dresses as she hung them. She couldn't remember ever owning something so fine and so costly. The silk slid through her fingers striking her with its elegance.

Leticia volvió a su habitación. Se duchó y se cambió la ropa rápidamente, eligiendo la falda verde con una blusa estampada y luego colgó cuidadosamente el resto de la ropa en el armario. Pasó unos momentos admirando los vestidos mientras los colgaba. No recordaba haber tenido nunca algo tan fino y tan costoso. La seda se deslizó entre sus dedos y la golpeó con su elegancia.

She looked at herself in the mirror and for the first time in a long time, she really looked. She had spent the better part of a year working with models and in an industry that put beauty above all else and yet, somehow, Fernando Mendiola was telling her that he had fallen in love with her. She didn't even know how that could be possible, it seemed the most improbable thing that could have ever happened.

Se miró en el espejo y, por primera vez en mucho tiempo, realmente miró. Había pasado la mayor parte del año trabajando con modelos y en una industria que ponía la belleza por encima de todo y, sin embargo, de alguna manera, Fernando Mendiola le decía que se había enamorado de ella. Ni siquiera sabía cómo eso podría ser posible, parecía lo más improbable que podría haber sucedido.

"Lety!" She spoke out loud to herself, "just get through today, get through tonight without thinking of what you are going to do about Fernando." She had spoke to herself in the mirror and what she saw there made her think that maybe Carolina was right, and maybe she was ready to change more than the weight of her clothes in her appearance.

"¡Lety!" Ella habló en voz alta para sí misma, "sobrevive hoy, pasa esta noche sin pensar en lo que vas a hacer con Fernando". Se había dicho a sí misma en el espejo y lo que vio allí la hizo pensar que tal vez Carolina tenía razón, y tal vez ella estaba lista para cambiar más que su ropa en su apariencia.

She touched her hair. The long braid she wore more as a piece of armor than as a hair style. Slowly, watching herself in the mirror, stopped braiding her hair. She removed the tight tie from her neck and let her hair loose around her. That was too much change she thought quickly and was about to pull her hair into the tight ponytail again when there was a knock on the door. Lety realized that she was out of time. Carolina was waiting.

Ella tocó su cabello. La larga trenza, ella llevaba más como una armadura que como un peinado. Lentamente, mirándose en el espejo, dejó de trenzar su cabello. Se quitó la venda de su cuello y dejó su cabello suelto, flotó alrededor de ella. Eso fue demasiado cambio, pensó de inmediato, y estaba a punto de meterse el pelo en la apretada trenza una vez más, cuando llamaron a la puerta. Lety se dio cuenta de que se acabo su tiempo. Carolina la estaba esperando.

She quickly let Carolina in and with a quick excuse that she was just finishing up and was about to pull her hair up again when Carolina stopped her.

Enseguida dejó entrar a Carolina y, con una excusa rápida, que acababa de terminar y estaba a punto de recobrarse nuevamente cuando Carolina la detuvo.

"Here let me Lety, do you mind if I do a little something to it?"

"Déjame, Lety, ¿te importa si le hago algo?"

"Do what Dona Carolina, it is too messy down."

"¿Haz lo que doña Carolina? Es demasiado descuidado, suelto ".