Chapter One: Monsters Roam In Your Home

"You're late." I laughed as I walked into my house, throwing groceries onto the counters before putting them away.

"Yeah and you two both have sticks in your-"

"Don't you dare finish that sentence." my mom growled and I looked up at her, gulping as I nodded. I finished putting away the groceries before running up to my room, throwing my bag down in my bean bag chair. I hopped on my bed and groaned, staring at the ceiling. My family had just moved here and even if I didn't want to, they didn't care. I was in high school, senior year to be exact, and I just had to keep telling myself a couple more years. I grabbed my lighter and flipped it on, staring at the flame. It was one of the only things I had that actually intrigued me, fire, light. Most girls my age were obsessed with cell phones or makeup, but I was different. I had a more complicated family, and they refused to buy me either.

"Amour!" I heard and jumped, putting the lighter down as the flame vanished. I ran downstairs to be met with an angry dad.

"Yes, father?" I asked and he looked up from his TV.

"I need you to make dinner." he said and I sighed. Of course. I swear, the only reason I was here was to work. I walked into the kitchen.

"If you'd do it yourself I bet you wouldn't be such a fatass." I grumbled to myself, but I guess I wasn't quiet enough, cause I then heard him shout.

"What?" he shouted and got off his couch, "What did you just say?" he asked and I gulped.

"I was wondering if you wanted pizza or noodles?" I said nervously and he chuckled darkly.

"No you weren't." he said, walking up to me. He grabbed at my neck and my air supply was cut off instantly, "You're gonna make my food and you aren't gonna bitch about it, okay?" he asked and I nodded, clawing at his hands. He let go and I coughed, immediately going back to cooking as he went back to his couch.

After homework, I hopped back in bed, lighting my lighter, sighing. My neck still hurt and I stood up, looking in my full body mirror, using my lighter as a light as I looked at my neck. I sighed, seeing a bruise had formed around my neck, I knew it'd be gone in a few days, but until then I was wearing turtle necks and scarves to school.

I sighed and tore off my skinny jeans, putting on shorts before pulling off my shirt and bra and putting on a comfortable crop top before sliding into bed. I just hopped for graduation to come soon so I could escape this place for once and for all.

It was just barely midnight and I hadn't even begun to get tired, just stared at my ceiling, when I felt my bed move slightly. I stayed stiff, my breath hitching as the bed dropped again and a figure stood up in the darkness. The figure picked up my lighter, chuckling to them self before throwing it behind their back. They turned and began to look through my stuff as I quietly stood from my spot, sneaking up behind them. I watched them stiffen slightly and I knew they knew I was there. I jumped on their back, wrapping my arms around the strangers neck as they made choking noises. They fell to the ground and I pinned them to the floor. I heard my door open and I turned to whoever opened it as the light turned on. In walked my mother, an angry expression on her face.

"And just what in the hell do you think you're doing?" she asked and I looked back to where the stranger was, only seeing clothes. I furrowed my eyes together as I stared at the black T shirt under the blue button up and leather vest with pins, along with jeans and sneakers before looking up to my mom as I stood up.

"I, um, I-I, well, I thought I saw something." I stuttered out as I put my hands behind my back. She looked to the pile of clothes before walking into my room.

"You don't have a boy in here, do you?" she asked as she looked around and I rolled my eyes.

"Why do you care?" I asked and she turned to me, raising her hand as if about to slap me. I flinched but she stopped herself, pointing at me.

"Don't you ever give me attitude like that, young lady, now get in bed and go to sleep, your father's already asleep and you know what he'll do if he finds you up at this time of the night." she said and I nodded, quickly doing as she said. She walked back to the doorway, leaving after turning off the light. I looked back to the pile of clothes, raising an eyebrow.

"I swear if I get beat because of you, I'm sending you to hell." I said quietly. The clothes didn't move so I sighed and laid down, staring at the ceiling. I heard movement and something sliding before sitting up again and looking back at the clothes, but they were gone. I stood up and grabbed my lighter from across the room, lighting it as I looked around, letting out shaky breaths.

Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep that night.