Chapter Thirteen: Two Different Worlds

I winced slightly at the pain, but I didn't move my hand from the flame. Soon enough, the burning feeling became a sensation that soon became numb. I watched the flame burn my skin before hearing a noise.

"I thought I told you to leave me alone." I muttered, moving the flame up slightly and wincing again as the pain came back.

"I mean-what the hell are you doing?" He asked and snatched the lighter from me, throwing it behind his back before grabbing my wrist and looking at the palm of my hand, which had a 1st or 2nd degree burn on it now. I pulled my hand back.

"Why do you care?" I asked, wincing slightly. I stood up and walked to where he had thrown my lighter, picking it up and putting it on my nightstand.

"What? Do you think just because I was doing my duty as a monster, that I don't care about you?" He asked and I looked down.

"No." I said quietly and looked him directly in the eyes, "I think there's something you haven't been telling me. I'm sorry if I value honesty in friendships. My hand disappeared, Maurice." I said and he looked taken aback as I walked towards him. Although he was taller than me by several inches, I was in charge at the moment, "If you aren't going to start telling me the truth, then get the hell out of my room." I said and he stared down at me.

Standing so close to him, I noticed something in the moonlight. His horn no longer had the bit that had been dangling, it was fully broken, and around his eye was a darker shade of blue than normal. I furrowed my eyebrows and felt the urge to touch him and make sure he was okay, but I stood my place as I looked down.

"Someone hurt you." I said quietly and he finally moved away.

"No, well, yes, but I hurt them first, well, I didn't hurt them, just generally angered them." he said and looked away as he rambled.

"Why?" I asked and he looked down.

"They wanted to turn you into a monster and I refused to let them. They were angry that you took away their fun." He said and I looked away, biting my lip so I wouldn't smile. Don't let him cloud your judgement.

"Don't think that because you took one beating for me it will make me forgive you so easily." I said and shuffled closer to him, "But thank you." I whispered. He looked at me before smiling a little bit, "I need a drink." I muttered and walked downstairs, looking where my dad hid the vodka. I grabbed the bottle before hissing as it dropped from my hand. I'd already forgotten about the burn on my hand. I shook off my hand and squeaked as the bottle shattered and alcohol went everywhere.

"Amour?" I heard Maurice ask as he ran down to the kitchen, looking at me. I was glad he was wearing sneakers, because I was barefoot. I turned to him and he held out his hands, "Don't move." He said and walked over to me, avoiding the big pieces of glass. He looked down before swooping down and picking my up. I gasped and he walked back over into the living room.

He set me down on the couch and looked at my legs with worry to check if I'd been cut with glass. There was a few cuts but none were deep. He then stood up and walked back to the kitchen and in a matter of minutes was back.

"And voila, the mess is gone." He said and held out his hand to me. I took it with my non burned hand and he helped my up before pulling me to him. I squeaked and tensed up as my face was against his chest, but I soon relaxed and hugged him, "I didn't know you'd be so upset over the baby thing. I guess I'm just used to it." He said, not really an apology, but I guess I'd take it for now.

"It's fine, I just find it cruel. She hadn't done anything wrong. It was like we were punishing her for no reason." I mumbled into his leather vest, nuzzling into him more. It was clear to me now that I had feelings for Maurice, but he would never love me back of course.

He lives in the shadows of the night and I live in the sunlight. We're in two separate worlds and it wouldn't work. Even if it did, there are times when we wouldn't be there for each other, no matter how important. It tore me apart but I knew I'd have to get over him.

So I pulled away from him, smiling just barely as I looked down. But in that moment it was like my life flashed before my eyes as he leaned down and pressed his lips against mine in a kiss.

And boy did I kiss back.

I knew it was wrong, every ounce in my body told me to pull back, maybe slap him, and run away, but I didn't. In the most non cliche way as possible, it felt wrong but so right. I felt like if I let go, he might disappear and I'd be left all alone, like my father, mother, and JD, I'd be alone. So I kissed him as passionately as I could, wrapping my arms around his neck as he put his hands on my hips. We kissed under the moonlight and nothing else. I felt alive.

When we finally pulled back for air, it was like I saw him in a brand new light. I don't know how to explain it, but he was different. He grinned down at me happily as we breathed heavily.

"I have to tell you something." He said finally, bringing me back down from heaven and into the cruel reality I live in.

"I-I have to tell you something too." I stuttered nervously.