Chapter Eight: Pranks In The Night

I turned off the lights, hearing movement behind me as I sat on my bed, turning to see a shocked Maurice.

"Before you say anything-" I started.

"Do you really like me? Do ya? Do ya? Do ya? Do ya?" He asked quickly, jumping on the bed and hovering slightly over me as he put his face up in mine and I felt my cheeks heat up as I looked away.

"I needed an excuse for him to leave me alone so I made up that I liked someone and he asked for a name and I was stressed and hurrying." I said and pushed his face away from mine, "So I said your name." I finished and he sat down in front of me.

"Oh." He said simply and lifted his arms a bit before letting them fall back down to his lap. He did this about three times before talking again, "I guess... I can't say I'm not disappointed." I heard him say quietly. I let out a small laugh that sounded more like a scoff.

"Why would you be disappointed?" I asked, looking up at him in confusion. He just smiled before hopping off the bed, holding his hand out to me.

"Come on, babe. Let's go. I want to show you something new tonight." He said and I rolled my eyes.

"Don't call me babe." I muttered, taking his hand. He pulled me off the bed with force, making my eyes go wide as I lost my balance and fell into him. I looked up at him and he smirked with a wink before I could pull myself back. My bed lifted on it's own like magic and he knelt down, hopping under the floor and leaving me standing there. I raised an eyebrow and reached for where he went.

My hand disappeared as it went through the floor and my eyes went wide as I pulled it back. He hopped back up after a minute and looked at me.

"You coming or what?" He asked and reached out, grabbing my arms. I squeaked as he pulled me through and landed back in his arms like the first night. I jumped out of his arms and crossed my own over my chest.

"So, are we gonna play "monsterball"? Whatever that is." I asked, confused. He shook his head.

"Nope." He said, popping the p. I thought.

"Arcade?" I asked and he once again shook his head.

"Nada." He answered and and I sighed.

"Okay, I'll bite, what are we gonna do?" I asked. Instead of answering, he grabbed my hand and pulled me along with him. He pulled me up a staircase and I raised an eyebrow as our heads popped up under some poor saps bed. I looked around, "Where the hell are we?" I asked in confusion and he grinned, giggling.

"Watch this." He said and climbed up, pulling me up with him. We stood and I looked around the bedroom. It was a normal kids room, blue walls and clear windows. Nice little decorations and a few stuffed animals. I looked at the bed to see a little boy, sound asleep. I looked at Maurice.

"What are we doing here?" I asked in a whisper.

"Doing what monsters do. Making trouble!" He said happily and leaned over the little boy. I stood to the side and watched, still not fully knowing what was going on.

After Maurice set up a prank for the little boys parents to find the next day, we went to another house and did the same, then another, and another, and another until it was time for me to go home. I didn't like causing trouble for other people, but I had to admit that it was fun.

After exchanging goodbyes with Maurice, I began to climb up into my room. I let out a squeal when someone grabbed my foot and pulled me back down, turning to see Maurice again.

"What are you doing? I have to get back." I said and he nodded sheepishly.

"I know, but I almost forgot to give you something." He said and reached into his vest. He pulled out a slice of pizza, shaking his head with a, "No." as he threw it over his shoulder before continuing to dig. He did this three times and I began to get anxious before he pulled out a phone and grinned, handing it out to me. My eyes went wide.

"Alright, who'd you steal this from?" I asked, crossing my arms. He rolled his eyes and shoved it in my hands.

"Just take it and go, before the sun rises." He said with a small smile and I nodded, climbing up into my room. I got ready for school, throwing on a galaxy shirt and some black skinny jeans before once again pulling up my galaxy converse and grabbing my bag, walking out of my house as the sun began to rise.

I got an idea and quickly pulled out my "new" phone. It already had a few small scratches, most likely from Maurice. I put it on camera and held it up, recording the sunrise as I walked to school. Once it was fully up, I turned the camera to face me and stuck out my tongue before ending the recording. I smiled as I entered the building.

JD left me alone for most of the day, only saying a few "Hello"'s to me when we passed. I was back to being friendless, but that was something I could and had dealt with before.

I threw down groceries, putting them up and making dinner. I noticed that my dad hadn't been home since yesterday and furrowed my eyebrows, wondering where he was. I didn't think about it too much, I didn't care. I just cleaned, showered, and ran up to my room to wait for Maurice happily.