Chapter Fifteen: We're On A Road To Nowhere

"Come on." I whispered to myself, staring under the bed. All day I'd worked my ass off to get a job, which didn't happen, and now I was sitting against a wall, staring at the floorboards under my bed. I wasn't able to pass through anymore, meaning I couldn't just look for him. But I'd made up my mind in the time that I hadn't seen him.

I checked my clock once more and sighed, pulling my knees tighter against my chest.

"Please, Maurice." I mumbled as I squeezed my eyes shut. I heard a noise and opened my eyes, but there was nothing there, "M-Maurice?" I asked, not moving. I heard a shuffle, but when I looked, there was again nothing there. I then got an idea, standing up and slowly walking to my light switch. Before I could switch it, I saw my bed lift and a body slid under it and I ran after it, slamming my fist down on the floor, but it didn't go through. I let out a shout of anger before pulling away.

It had been a week since I'd seen a monster, but every morning there'd be something different about my room, whether it was a messy floor or a drawer pulled out. I'd begun to think I was crazy.

I walked into my new job, I was working at a stupid coffee shop that had a crappy pay. I stood behind the counter and stared at the door, waiting for a customer.

After a day of serving annoying whiny customers, I began to walk "home" as my mom called it. I was freezing and I couldn't help but feel a lack of happiness. I'd been in a state of sadness ever since Maurice left.

Thoughts began to swim around my mind and a plan developed as I got home, exchanging glances with my mom before running downstairs. I checked the time, 9:00 pm. I pulled out my phone and a speaker and began blasting music. The first song to play was "Road To Nowhere" by Talking Heads.

Well we know where we're going,
But we don't know where we've been.
And we know what we're knowing,
But we can't say what we've seen.
And we're not little children.
And we know what we want.
And the future is certain.
Give us time to work it out.

I reached my drawer and pulled it out, looking in and digging through it before pulling out the bottle I was looking for.

We're on a road to nowhere,
Come on inside.
Taking that ride to nowhere,
We'll take that ride.
I'm feeling okay this morning.
And you know,
We're on the road to paradise.
Here we go, here we go.

I made my way to the connected bathroom, making sure the music was just loud enough so my mom wouldn't hear anything from upstairs as I reached in the drawers. I dug through those at well until I found my blade.

We're on a ride to nowhere,
Come on inside.
Taking that ride to nowhere,
We'll take that ride.
Maybe you wonder where you are.
I don't care.
Here is where time is on our side.
Take you there, take you there.

I pulled up my sleeves and traced patterns into my skin, wincing slightly at the pain of the new scars before putting down the blade as my dark red blood ran into the sink.

We're on a road to nowhere.

I pulled off the cap of my pills and looked in. There had to he at least twenty or thirty pills in it. I quickly dumped them all in my hand before shoving them in my mouth.

There's a city in my mind.
Come along and take that ride.
And it's alright, baby, it's all right,
And it's very far away.
But it's growing day by day and it's all right.
Baby, it's all right.
Would you like to come along?
You can help me sing the song.
And it's all right, baby, it's all right.
They can tell you what to do.
But they'll make a fool of you,
And it's all right, baby, it's all right.

I tried to swallow but couldn't, groaning without letting the pills jump out of my mouth as I turned on the water and put the bottle under it, letting water fall into it and tricks down my hands and arms.

There's a city in my mind,
Come along and take that ride.
And it's alright, baby, it's all right.
And it's very far away.
But it's growing day by day and it's all right.
Baby, it's all right, yeah.
Would you like to come along?
You can help me sing the song.
And it's all right, baby, it's all right.
They can tell you what to do.
But they'll make a fool of you and it's all right.
Baby, it's all right.

As I was about to hold up the cup to my mouth to help me down the pills, a hand appeared and grabbed my cheeks, causing the pills to fall from my mouth as I looked up at who had ended my peace.

We're on a road to nowhere.

"Maurice?"

We're on a road to nowhere.