Chapter Four: Complications

"Sorry if what I did yesterday made you uncomfortable." JD said as I looked through my locker, smiling as I pulled out my sketchbook before turning to him.

"Not at all." I smiled and kissed his cheek, turning as we walked to class together. We had first period together, third, and lunch. I noticed he wasn't wearing his usual black coat and decided to ask him about it.

"Well, I woke up this morning and it was just, mangled. Holes like a dog had chewed it up, so I left it. It'll be fine though, I'll get a new one." he said and I nodded, thinking for a second.

"Anything else strange happen?" I asked and he nodded slightly.

"The tires of my car were sliced, only three of them which means I have to pay for them all individually rather than buy a cheap package for four, but I could just slice the last one myself." he said with a smile and I smiled back, "And my room was trashed, but that could have just been my dad looking for something." he said and I nodded.

"Well, I hope everything gets settled."

"So where'd you go last night?" I asked Maurice, legs crossed as I sat on my bed, looking up at him as he played with my lighter, lighting it and letting it turn off before doing the whole thing over again. 

"What do you mean?" he asked and I watched.

"You said you were going to ruin some kids lives, did one of them happen to have a long black coat that you chewed up, or three tires that you sliced?" I asked and he stopped, looking at me before going back to the lighter.

"No idea what you're talking about, babe." he said and I rolled my eyes.

"Don't call me babe and don't lie to me either, Maurice. Did you go to JD's place?" I asked again and he groaned, throwing down the lighter as he stood up from my bean bag chair.

"Okay, maybe I did, so what?" he asked and I stood up, nowhere near his height, but I could pretend.

"So, you better be glad he doesn't have anger issues or else you would be dead meat." I said angrily and sighed, calming myself down as I looked away from the monster, "Were you jealous?" I asked and he laughed.

"Me? Jealous of that little twerp? Of course not, I mean, have you seen how handsome I am?" He asked and I rolled my eyes.

"Not what I meant." I said quietly.

"Well then what did you mean?" he asked, raising his voice more than usual. I jumped, "Because ever since I got here you've been up then down then left then right," he said, moving the directions he said, "Dropping hints, not dropping hints, hot, cold, yes and no, so what do you want?" he asked and I backed up, frowning as I realized what he said was true. I looked down, staying silent as he calmed down, "Sorry, I didn't mean to blow up on you like that." he apologized.

"It's fine, you're right anyways." I whispered and sat on the bed, "At this point, I don't know what I want." I said and he sat next to me.

"Hey," he said in a soothing tone of voice, a tone I hadn't heard, "It-it's not your fault." he said and I scoffed a chuckle as he lightly rubbed my shoulder. I leaned on his shoulder, staring down.

"Do you like me." I asked and felt him tense slightly.

"I mean, yes. Why do you think I keep coming back? If I didn't like you, I'd have your parents blaming you for the shooting of Abe Lincoln." he said and I looked up at him.

"No, Maurice, do you like me?" I asked again and he looked at me. Before he could answer, I saw light seep through the windows and he began to burn, wincing as he hissed and stood up.

"Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow." he said, quickly dropping under my bed and I looked at the spot, waiting for him to come back and say something, but he didn't. I frowned as I stood up and got ready for school.

"I see you already have a new coat." I said, looking at JD's coat as he pulled me into a hug. I smiled and hugged back before pulling away.

"Yep, it wasn't hard to find one." he said and kissed my cheek as we walked to class.

"And your tires?" I asked and he smiled.

"I ordered new ones, should be here in a few days." he said and I nodded.

"Well, that's good. I hope nothing like that happens again, and if it does, you'll let me know, right?" I asked, grabbing his hand and he smiled.

"Definitely." he said, "Hey, would you like to go on a date tomorrow? It is Saturday and all, unless you already have something planned." he said and I looked up at him.

"Oh, I don't! But... I can't. Sorry." I said, thinking about what my parents would do. He nodded and we walked into class together. 

I got home and quickly put my groceries away and making dinner, about to run upstairs to wait for Maurice excitedly, with food in hand, before someone grabbed the collar of my shirt. I turned to see my parents and I raised an eyebrow.

"Hello?" I asked. They hadn't bothered me since my dad gave me the black eye, I was wondering what was up.

"Your father and I are going out. We won't be back until tomorrow and we want the house spotless before we get back, alright?" my mom said and I nodded. My dad just stood there, glaring at me. He probably wanted me to get punched again, and by him if he could. They turned and walked out and I rolled my eyes, like I'd actually clean for them. I knew it could get me in trouble, but right now, I was just happy that I'd have the house to myself as I ran upstairs. I ran back down to get more food, running back up with a pile. I hadn't eaten anything but maybe an apple for the entire week, and I was hungry.

As I was eating and watching Netflix on my mom's laptop that I had stolen from her room, I didn't realize how late it had become until my bed was lifted. I looked over to see Maurice standing there, a grin on his face. I turned the screen so he could watch a show I'd found called Supernatural, about two brothers who go around killing monsters. I then realized the irony of the situation.

"I hate that one." he said and I giggled, tossing him a small bag of chips, knowing whatever I gave him, he'd eat it all, "Where'd you get all this cool stuff?" He asked with a grin as he grabbed my tea and drank most of it with a burp at the end before I snatched it back.

"It's all my parents and they're gone for the night so I thought it would be fun. This show is actually really good." I smiled and scooted over on the twin sized bed, patting the spot beside me. Maurice jumped into the spot next to me, grabbing another bag of chips and eating it disgustingly. I knocked him over gently, just enough to move him slightly, "You're disgusting, you know that?" I asked, but couldn't help but giggle. 

"You know I'm amazing, admit it." he said and I rolled my eyes.

"In your dreams." I said and went back to watching my show, drinking my tea. 

"Two more days, three more nights including tonight." I heard him say from beside me, looking at him with my eyebrows knitted together, "Until I can ask you to come down with me again."

"Now it sounds like a marriage proposal." I rolled my eyes and leaned on his shoulder as I kept watching.

"Nah, it'd only be close to that if you stayed past morning." he said and this peaked my interest.

"Why? What happens past morning?" I asked, pausing the show and turning back to him.

"Well, if you stay in the Underworld past sunrise, you'll become a monster." he explained and I nodded, shaping my lips into an o.

"So when you turned into one-"

"I wanted to. Others, though, might not have." he said and I nodded.

"Hey, you never answered my question last night." I said and he looked at me with a face full of confusion as if he didn't remember it, "Do you like me?" 

"Okay, are we talking like or like, because if we're talking like then yes and if we're talking like then it's complicated and too long to explain anyways." he said and I sighed.

"Of course it is. Nothing can just be simple, can it?" I asked, mainly myself as we continued watching Supernatural until I eventually found myself dozing off on his chest, holding him close.