Chapter Three: A Story Isn't a Spy Story Without a Car Chase

Hola! I'm so sorry this update is so late, it's actually ridiculous that it took me a month to get this up! I had writer's block on it for like half a month and then I was super lazy during Easter break and yeah, sorry. And now I'm super busy studying for AP tests, so this might be the last update til after May 14th :( I'm sorry! May is always a super busy month for me. Anyway, enjoy this chapter and please check out my other books while you're waiting for me to upload :) sorry again that I took so long!

Gracias! <3 vb123321

Chapter Three

A Story Isn’t a Spy Story Without a Car Chase

“Does Patrick always sing in the shower?” I asked.

Zach rolled his eyes, his mouth stuffed full of my mom’s pancakes. He looked much healthier now that he had showered and changed into a pair of Patrick’s clothes from the bag the blonde agent had thoughtfully brought. And with my mom’s doting on him, he was bound to get as much food as he could ask for.

“He thinks he sings in the shower,” he said finally, swallowing, and we both grinned as some Lion King lyrics floated through the walls. Zach took a sip of milk, offering an awkward smile to my mom, who sat next to me at the table. “Thanks, Mrs. Grimm, this is great.”

“Oh, no problem, dear.” Mom beamed. “I’m glad you like them.”

I played with a napkin, glancing up into Zach’s face. His damp hair curled over his eyes as they flicked around the room, but all he said was “So how did that movie end anyway? I think I fell asleep before it finished.”

“You did,” I affirmed, smiling. “What part do you last remember?”

“Um…some weird song like Hakuna Potato?”

Hakuna Potato?” I almost choked on my own spit. “You mean Hakuna Matata? The one they sing with Timon and Pumbaa?”

Zach shrugged with the barest trace of a grin. “See, I knew it was something like that. Potato, patata, and all that. Weird song.” I shook my head in disbelief, and he rolled his eyes at me. “So the lion guy just runs away? I’m guessing he eventually comes back and kicks the evil dude’s butt?”

My mom stared at him. “You haven’t watched The Lion King?”

“Apparently he hasn’t seen much Disney at all,” I informed her. “Yeah, Simba realizes he has to be the king and follow his destiny and all that, and then he goes and kicks out Scar, and everyone lives happily ever after.”

Shaking his head, Zach balanced his fork on the edge of his glass. “See, this is why there’s no point in me watching these movies. I know how all of them are gonna end – everything’s always happily ever after.”

I shrugged. “That’s Disney for you, I guess.”

“Not very realistic, is it?”

The fork crashed to the table in the silence that followed, making me jump as I watched Zach’s face with a troubled feeling. I tried to think of something to say to that, but he just said quietly, “I think Ryan’s done in the shower,” and sure enough, Patrick walked into the kitchen a moment later, toweling his blonde hair. He, too, was dressed in a fresh set of jeans and sweatshirt, the shadows under his eyes reduced.