Chapter Ten: As Haymitch Would Say, Remember Who the Enemy Is

Happy Summer!! Finally done with school, whoop! Finished yesterday. I was gonna update this earlier, but wattpad kept telling me I couldn't cuz it was under construction or something. I have no idea. But anyway, here it is, finally. I'm kinda iffy about this chapter right now, but I guess it's good enough. Blah. Okay, big head's up - I hope to update again before this weekend, like maybe tomorrow night (Friday night) or Saturday morning, because I'm going to be working out of state for five weeks after this weekend and probably won't have wifi to update or time to write. However, if I can finish this book by Saturday (which actually there's a slight chance of me doing this, believe it or not) then I can email it to myself and update from time to time next week. So hopefully that happens! Anyway, enjoy this chapter and please shoot me a comment :)

Gracias! <3 vb123321

Chapter Ten

As Haymitch Would Say, Remember Who the Enemy Is

It was a good thing that the police were technically on our side, or Jer would have killed them all. We’d barely been sitting with Zach for five minutes before the nurse politely informed us that the cops were waiting in the lobby to talk with Jer. My brother grumbled the entire way to the waiting room, limping, and I was mildly surprised the officers didn’t fall down at his feet and apologize when they caught a glimpse of his face.

“I’m sorry, sir,” said one of the three cops. “I’ll need to ask you some questions.”

“I hate the police,” Jer muttered, only loud enough for me to hear, and then he tugged his wallet out of his back pocket with a grimace. He flipped it open to show the officer his CIA badge, which was scrutinized skeptically.

“Are these your credentials, sir?”

“Really? Are you blind?”

The police officer blinked uncertainly as Jer dropped onto the bench, one hand clenching the top of his leg as he set his jaw. The female agent, Emily, kept giving him worried looks that he studiously ignored as he gestured for me to sit down next to him.

“Chris, you and Emily will need to switch off standing guard on Sullivan’s room until I get a permanent post from the police,” said Jer, ignoring the officer as he addressed his agent. “I need you to go there now, please, and after I’ve spoken with them, we can discuss everything.”

Chris nodded, got to his feet, and left the room with one hand on the holster on his hip. I didn’t feel like smiling, but I had to grin a little at the expression on the cops’ faces. The officer who seemed to be in charge glanced at his two companions with confusion before clearing his throat and fixing Jer with a stern look.

“Sir, I’m going to have to ask you to inform us –”

“I’m about to, be patient,” said Jer with hypocritical impatience. “I’m CIA, as are my two agents, and we’re here for a teenager who is in the ICU with a stab wound. Yes,” as the officer opened his mouth, “the wound was not an accident. But it also does not concern the police department and does not need to be recorded.”

“I’m sorry, but we’ll need to make a full report –”