Chapter Fourteen, I've Been Stung By The Wasp

"When in bed, you're dead." 

~Morrie Schwartz

Trey's P.O.V

I stared up at the Smith's front door, my eyes trailed to Harper's window. She was a ghost. I took in a deep breath and knocked on the front door. I was ready to push past her parents and run up to her room. But if Harper was dead they probably disposed of her body already. 

I knocked harder on the front door and the lightening cracked like a whip. I pulled up my hood and tried not to get wet. "Mrs. Smith!" I yelled and hammered my fist onto the door. I wasn't going to retreat this time, not when Harper's life's on the line. 

I received no answer. I walked around the house and to the back door. I slowly turned the knob and shockingly it opened. The house smelled of smoke, and decay. Beer bottles laid across the floor, dried puke stained the ash gray carpet. The kitchen was disgusting. 

I walked through the kitchen, holding my breath, but then stopped. In front of me was a corpse. I took a step back and the black hair covered the face. The hair was too long to be Harper's, it was her mom. I crouched down and touched her neck for a pulse. I pulled back when I felt a warm liquid. 

I looked at my fingers and they were stained in a dark nearly brown shade of red. Blood. I quickly stood up and turned away from the body, I was going to throw up. I ran over to the sink overflowing with dishes. I threw up on top of them and shook. "Oh God." I muttered as I looked out the window. 

What if the police think I killed her? I heard footsteps coming down the stairs and I looked for a hiding place. I ran to the broom closet and kept it slightly open so I could see. The steps of the person were heavy and sounded like a male. He chuckled and walked near the closet. I scooted back and bumped into the broom. I caught it before it could fall. I held the handle tightly and didn't breathe. This was a killer that I was facing.

The person passed and I covered my mouth to hide the gasp. "So what do we do with bodies Ryan?" She asked and I was frozen.