Day 1 - Rooftops (BatCat Week 2017)

Rooftops. The first time they had met, and fought, had been on a rooftop. The first time they had teamed up with their masks on had been on a rooftop. For some reason it always seemed to come back to rooftops with them. Tonight was no different. Here Selina was, in the pouring rain, on the roof of the GCPD with the bat signal turned on, waiting for Bruce to show up.

It had been a while since she had last been in Gotham. A year, if she remembered correctly. After everything that had happened with Penguin, Harvey and Lady Arkham, Selina had wanted to distance herself from the city and the man that protected it.

During her time away, Selina had done what she could to forget about it. To move on, but Gotham kept calling back to her. Everywhere that she went, there were always reminders. A lot of the time they were small reminders, but occasionally there would be a big one.

They always came in the form of an interview on tv or the radio, a headline on the newspaper or a little kid running around, dressed up as the caped crusader. Hearing his rich voice or seeing his blue eyes or the symbol he wore each and every night made her think back to their time together. Soon afterwards she found herself wanting to go back. She didn't understand why until she was an hour from Gotham. It was because she missed him.

She groaned. This was so out of character of her. He was only have meant to been a job. All that should have happened was that she would get the item she wanted, leave and never think about him again. Selina should've known things wouldn't work out like that when they met at that cafe.

When they had met that day she had sensed it immediately, before she had figured out who he was. There was an air about Bruce that was...darker than you would've expected and it she knew it wasn't just because he was Batman. There was something else there and Selina, for the life in her, couldn't figure it out. That alone should've sent her running.

Maybe...maybe she should be running now. Before he arrived. She didn't even know what she wanted to come from tonight. She hadn't even thought about it. Fuck, what was she even going to say!? Before Selina had a chance to either run or figure out what to say, she heard his voice behind her.

"You're back." Bruce said.

'Right, gotta play this cool'. Selina turned around to face him and placed a hand on her hip. "You didn't really think I'd stay away forever, did you?"

"What you said last time we saw each other, implied that you weren't ever coming back." he stated.

"Yeah? Well maybe I got bored or, for all you know, I'm here on another job."

Bruce shook his head. "I don't think either of those reasons is why you came here."

"And what makes you say that Bat?"

Bruce walked towards Selina until he was towering over her. He was close enough that she could smell his cologne and the faint traces of whiskey on his breath. "Because if that was true, you wouldn't have used the signal to summon me."

Selina smiled as she placed a hand on his chest and stood on her tiptoes so she could whisper in his ear. "The stolen diamonds in my bag would strongly disagree." The diamonds hadn't been stolen from anyone in Gotham. She'd stolen them awhile ago, in case of a rainy day. Now they were going to help by Selina sometime while she figured out what to say. Laughing, she pushed away from him and fell backwards off the roof before grappling away, using the grapple gun that, for some reason, Bruce had never taken back.

Bruce chuckled to himself before going after her. God, he had missed this. He didn't catch her straight away. He could have done, but he hadn't wanted it to end too soon. It had been a while since they'd done this and he was determined to savour every second. He didn't actually care about the diamonds. He knew they weren't from anywhere in Gotham, if they had been he would have heard about them long before he met her tonight. Hell, he didn't even know if she actually had any. For all Bruce knew, Selina was bluffing.

When he tackled her, Bruce had misjudged the space between them and the edge of the roof. As a result they both ended up going over the edge. As they fell he was quick to realise there wasn't enough time for Bruce to grab her and grapple away. He only had time to do one or the other. His choice was more than clear.

He grabbed Selina, held her close to him and used his body to cushion her fall as they hit the rooftop below.

"You always were good at catching me." Selina said after they'd recovered from the fall. She got off of him and brushed herself off.

"Are you okay?" Bruce asked as he got up. He rolled his shoulders back and began to assess the damage. He grimaced a little. Nothing seemed broken, but damn he was going to have a large bruise.

"I'm fine, but surely I should be asking you that. You're the one who took the brunt of the fall." she replied.

"The suit took most of the shock so nothing is broken, but that's not what's important right now. What is important is why you came back."

"Why is it?"

"Because I want to know why."

Selina sighed. "I don't know why okay? I just did."

"You don't know or you don't want to tell me?"

Selina glared at him. "I. Don't Know." she spat.

Bruce rose his hands in surrender "Alright, alright I'm sorry. Well maybe we can figure that out together. Do you have somewhere to stay? If you don't, you're more than welcome to stay at the Manor."

"I am perfectly capable of finding somewhere to stay...thank you for the offer though."

Before he could reply the sound of an explosion nearby caught their attention.

As they watched a large cloud of black smoke rise up into the sky Selina spoke. "Looks like you're needed. We can continue this conversation later. See you soon Bruce."

"See you soon Selina."

With that she watched as he jumped into the alley below, got into his car and raced off to find out what had happened. 'Right. Now to find a suitable living space.'

Remember, if you enjoyed this and would like more batcat one shots vote and/or comment to let me know!