Tower Induction

Hermione

The brightness of the Dinning Area caught me off guard. When my eyes finally adjusted, I realized that line for the door was nonexistent, and that the door was closed. Only a few more minutes until my new life. After I was inducted, I'd remake myself. No more war hero, no more school geek, no more ex-fiancé of-

No! I vowed I would never ever let that ginger-headed prick define me again! This was my new place, where I could finally live my life the way I had always wished to. Now was my chance to make up for all of the bullying at Hogwarts, my chance to never once miss a day of school because of my friend's destined rivalry with some infamous dark wizard. I had come to Merlin's for my benefit, not anyone else's.

I took a deep breath, my lungs expanding sorely as my returning sadness settled in my chest. One table was completely deserted. As I began to walk over to that table, something cracked behind me.

"Hey! Hermione, wait up!" I recognized Felicity's voice and turned to see her straightening her black dress and tampering with her frizzy hair. "Jeez, that was brutal!"

"Tell me about it," I sighed."I doubt any of those Towers will want me."

"But one has to choose you!" Felicity chimed encouragingly in attempts to lift my spirits. "And, if that Tower makes you unhappy, you could always file for a switch! I hear that some Towers will take you in even if you only have one quality desirable to them.Apparently, the never stop looking for new recruits."

As I slumped into my chair, a massive sigh escaped my lips, squeezing all air out of my lungs just as Initiation had squeezed all hope out of my heart. I gripped the bridge of my nose with my thumb and forefinger, massaging the spot where a headache was beginning to rear its horrid head. That headache had nothing to do with sinuses.

A great boom sounded in front of us, startling my fingers off of my nose. My neck brought my head up abruptly as my eyes settled on Professors Huron and Hubble, who were both standing on a silver platform that was over the spot where the line had been not an hour ago. My heart gave a nervous flutter as the cloaked figures took to the stage, walking out from the hallway at the end of which was the door that had teleported us to their cases.

"Newest students!" boomed Professor Huron. Now that he was closer, I could make out a sharp, silver beard and carefully slicked back silver hair. Matched with his gold robes, the silver of Headmaster Huron's hair gave the impression of immense wealth and power. He would have seemed intimidating, if not for his kind, blue eyes. Headmistress Hubble had red hair that was cropped short and had streaks of gray running through it. Her brown eyes were soft yet carried the wisdom and intelligence only years of mistakes can reward.

"The Heads have composed their lists. They are ready to choose out of all of you who they believe best fit to be a part of their towers. But, before we begin with Induction, we will first have each tower state what they stand for and what they look for in their people."

Headmaster Huron stepped back, motioning to the first of all of the cloaked figures. When they began to speak, I recognized the first voice I had heard.

"We represent the Intellectual Tower. We stand for obedience, intelligence, initiative, respect, and responsibility. Our ideal addition would be a person of any gender, race, or sexuality, who would be willing to put in time and effort to achieve the highest scores possible in school."

The trio stepped back and made room for the second group, who I recognized as the second group I spoke with (it was the glitter that gave it away). It was then that I realized that this was probably the order everyone else had gone in as well, and that the pattern would most likely be the same throughout the line.