Tower Introduction

Hermione

Felicity and I marched up the stairs, our heels clicking on the cool stone. I could feel his eyes on my back as I made my way up through the maze of staircases. At the fourth flight's landing, we turned right and made our way across a raised walkway. Below us, stone stairs zigzagged upwards, clinging to the walls like ivy and connected only by a few walkways like the one we were currently walking across. I lifted my dress as I hastened my steps to put more space between us. Felicity hustled to keep up with me.

The hallway was made of sandy stone that reminded me of Hogwarts. Proud candles lit the hallways, out shined by splendid silver chandeliers that hung from the Gothic ceilings. The windows started at a point close to the ceiling and yawned down to just about waist height for me. Purple carpet lined the floor, fashioned with gold trim. We walked through an archway and turned right, marched up another set of stairs, then turned left. To our left was a wall that was decorated with antique rugs. To our right was a wall of windows, which displayed the cold and stormy night. The sun had long since gone down, leaving the moat and tracks outside invisible in the darkness. The only indication of rain was the constant spattering on the glass of the windows.

The girl in the front turned to face us. Her name was Leona, I recalled. She wore a black dress that squeezed tightly against her full curves. Gold ringlets framed her face, falling just below her shoulder blades. Long, doll-like lashes framed her sparkling blue eyes. High cheekbones punctured her heart-shaped face. Her lips were plump and red and were opening to let her speak.

"Welcome to the Reflection Tower," she said in a smooth, tinkling voice. "To begin our Introduction, we will scan each of your hands. This door is made from the bark of a Whomping Willow, and will absorb and memorize palm prints. That is how each of you will enter the tower. After your hand is scanned, please, make yourself comfortable in the forum of the tower." Leona slipped gracefully through the door. A second girl stepped forward- she was the third Head.

Her dark red hair was cut in a wavy bob that framed her angular face. Her thin lips were painted a natural orange, but her brown eyes were lined with dark makeup. A splash of freckles decorated her nose, and her dark dress fell off of her slim frame loosely.

"Hello, all," she started in a deep alto tone. "I am Gazelle. I'll be scanning your palm prints tonight."

The line slowly inched forward. As I got closer, I watched as the door grew around the witch or wizard's hand. After a few moments, the door would release their hands, and Gazelle would let them step through. As the line grew shorter, I grew more frantic. I despised being this close to him. He had won. Finally, after all these years, he had won.

"Main Head!" Leona called from inside the Tower's forum.

"Coming, Leona!" He called back before muttering, "excuse me ladies." I jumped as his icy cold hand settled on my shoulder. I shuffled out of his way, attempting to avoid eye contact. "You look lovely this evening, Hermione."

I resisted the urge to gag, and instead mumbled a curt "thanks."

When I stepped up to the door, Gazelle smiled kindly to me and reached out her hand. After taking mine in her hands, she placed my palm on the door, which was surprisingly warm. The bark inched up my skin, its interior cooler than its exterior. It remained for a few seconds, then released me. Gazelle nodded as I walked past her and through the door.

The room that surrounded me was gorgeous. It was circular and made out of gray stone that was decorated with a black, Gothic chandelier and several black candles that were set into the wall. The wall opposite of me was made entirely of windows which sat above a window seat that was decorated with a fine red-velvet pillow with gold tufts that stretched out from its four corners. On either side of the windows stood towering bookcases, filled with ancient bindings that came in all sorts of sizes and faded colors. To my left was a grand fireplace and mantel, in front of which a handful of love seats, armchairs, sofas, tables, and stands were scattered. To my right, large stone steps wound themselves half-way around the tower, leading to a raised landing that rested right over the windows. Behind the landing was a single door labelled "Housing."