The Unconventional Tower

I stepped to the side of the hallway and pulled Elliott over with me, away from the steady flow of students rushing to the dinning hall. He calmly followed the lead of my hand before coming to a rest and smiling down at me. A little bird in my chest fluttered with excitement and spurred a flush in my cheeks.

"Sorry, I forgot to tell you until just now, but we've been invited to the  Reflection's Head Case for dinner." I watched carefully for Elliott's reaction.

His eyes widened in surprise and his fingers tightened around mine, but when he began to speak, he didn't seem opposed to the invitation. His only concern was-

"With that Leona girl?"

I nodded. "Malfoy says he'll keep her in check. We, erm- we actually talked about that during our tutoring session yesterday."

"And?"

"They've been having a rough time. But he'll keep her in check."

Elliott bobbed his head, grinning wider. "Good." He lifted my hand to place a kiss on my knuckles before we reentered the stream of students.

The Cases were accessible through a side corridor that ran behind the wall they were built into. The door to the corridor was in a hallway that was the first left turn after passing the dinning hall's doors. The corridor was well lit and elegant, with a carpeted floor and miniature chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. The right side of the cooridor was a bare wall, while the left side's cream color was periodically interrupted by oak doors branded with the house's titles. The Reflection Tower's door was the third door in the lineup.

I stepped in front of the door and raised my fist to knock before hesitating. To my own surprise, I was nervous. I looked back at Elliott shyly.

"Should I knock?"

He shrugged and smiled. "How else would you expect to get in?"

I took a deep breath and looked back at the door. "Alright..." My knock was timid and quiet, but apparently it was heard, because the door opened to reveal a frustrated looking Gazelle. Upon seeing the two of us, her face lit up in a genuine smile.

"Hey, Hermione, what are you doing here?"

From within the room, I heard Malfoy say "I invited the two of them this afternoon. You can let them in."

Gazelle rolled her eyes and mumbled under her breath "I was going to either way, but..."

The room inside was lavishly plain and luxuriously comfortable. While the entrance corridor had payed homage to the stereotypical upper class roots of the British, this room reminded me of a modern temple. The room was decorated with luscious greens plants and a fountain display that took up most of the right wall. The display was made up of coarse stone that was covered in various blooms and greens and had two levels. The first level held a small pool that overflowed and gently trickled into the second level, which swam with small water lilies. To the left was a black marble bar, that was not currently manned, and was decorated with lonely black stools.

The dining table itself stood over a gray patterned rug that matched the table's runner. The black wood of the table was exposed, and matched the legs of the chairs, whose cushions coordinated with the gray of the rug and the runner. The display at the center of the table was an unruly shrub accented by several vibrant blossoms. The table sat perpendicular with the large window that made up all of the back wall and overlooked the dining hall. Tied together with the deep blue of the walls, the whole room was serine and gorgeous.

"Do you like it?"

I was suddenly pulled out of my stupor by Malfoy's voice. Following his sound, I found him sitting very plainly in front of me, in the middle seat before centerpiece. He was watching me over the rim of his half-full wineglass, his silver eyes reaching farther than my own. The question felt too personal for dinner.