Chapter 31: You are my flashlight

Just a few minutes later, a small beetle car rolled up. The type that had two doors. Danmaula came sprinting out from the car. He was wearing a three quarter white jallabiya with different pairs of shoes. He must have ran here immediately after I called him. When he saw me he breathed a sigh of relief. He didn't say anything but just opened the car door for me.

He didn't ask if I was okay or ask what I was doing there at this time of the night which I was grateful for. I wasn't okay and I was tired of people asking if I was when they knew I was clearly not and I wasn't in the mood for talking. When the water works came. I didn't try to stop them from flowing. I didn't feel ashamed of crying in front of him. I allowed myself to weep and kept hiccupping and sniffing. He turned around once in a while to look at me and then turned back to the wheels.

"Take right" I said, he looked at me a bit puzzled but obeyed without asking questions. And that was how I gave him the directions to Kakani's place. His eyes lit up in recognition when we reached the house.

I opened the door and whispered a thank you.

That was the only time he opened his mouth to speak throughout the night. "You are welcome Hameeda."

I started walking away when he called me back.

"Fray and sleef (pray and sleep). I will come tomorrow in sha Allah. You are missing too much Hadda." I nodded and walked in. Thankfully the doors weren't closed. I went straight to the bathroom, did my ablution then prayed two Raka'ah Nafila. I cried to my lord and asked for His forgiveness. Right after I was done, I changed into my pajamas and like danmaula asked me to, I slept off.

I stayed in bed throughout the next day. I didn't even go out and greet Kakani or drink a cup of tea that would get cold before I finish drinking it. I stayed there cuddling my blanket since I hadn't brought my teddy with me.

I couldn't believe what I almost did yesterday. How could I be so careless? I wanted to forget about my problems. I forgot about them for a short while. And when I started remembering them it was worse. Instead of helping me what I did made things worse. I was more sad, angry and depressed now.

A knocked on my door took me out of my thoughts. It was Kakani's maid.

"Someone is here to see you." she announced.

"Me?" I foolishly asked. Like there's anyone else in the room. Of course she was talking about me. I put on a long hijab over my pajamas. I didn't even care about washing my face or brushing my teeth not to talk of taking a bath. I greeted Kakani first before going out. She acted as if everything was alright."Ina gajiya Hameeda, Kin tashi lafiya?"

When I went outside I saw a white beetle parked opposite the house. Danmaula was standing next to the door with his signature 3 quarter trousers and shirt that has sleeves that were neatly folded and his neatly combed hair. If I was in a good mood I would have seen how handsome he was looking. He smiled warmly at me and said "Assalama Alaikum Hameeda."

"Wa alaikumu salam," I answered him and took him in. I took him to greet Kakani, introducing him as my quranic teacher before taking him to the sauro where we would be doing our quranic lessons. The sauro was a little bit modern and looked like a veranda. It had two couches and a carpet.

We sat down opposite each other on the couches. He kept quiet staring at me for some minutes. He quickly looked down and muttered "astagrfirullah". He asked where I stopped in Hadda. I told him and he asked me to read it. I started reading it but I couldn't complete it. The last hizb I memorized had gone. I couldn't recite even a single page without mistakes as I hadn't been revising.

With the things going on in my life, I didn't revise at all. It was a pity. And with the feelings I was having that day I couldn't think well at all. He asked me to revise the last two hizbs very well before memorizing a new page. I thanked him and was about to leave when I heard the sound of the door opening. I looked up and my eyes met Khaleed's brown ones. He looked in between the two of us then hissed and walked inside.