Chapter 21: Light and Darkness

[Previously:]

Gray's facial expression was nonexistent, "You may have that flame-head's body, but you're not him! And I will bring Natsu back!!"

His dragon eyes narrowed at the half-naked man, E.N.D. growling as he stretched his wings to show off the newest tear, "You want to mess with a demon... Fine, it's your death wish," He chuckled darkly, "Then again, all of you will die anyway. One less pathetic-human to worry about."

As Gray and E.N.D. fought, and everyone else focused on their own fight. No one noticed, behind the firewall, Lucy's body started to glow. Her mating mark and keys shining brightly, as a heartbeat was heard...

~

E.N.D. chuckled as Gray stood shakily from being thrown across the battlefield, "Do you honestly believe that your everyone's last hope? Your magic hardly has any effect... Unlike the low-class demon you fought, I can actually heal from any damage inflicted. Not to mention your ice is weak, who even taught you this pathetic magic? A snowman?"

Gray practically growled, standing on his ground as the temperature lowered, colder than before. E.N.D. glanced around, watching as everything froze. Raising an eyebrow, he smirked in amusement, "Did I hit a nerve frostbite?" The coldness was affecting neither of them, but as expected, Gray initiated the first move and launched several ice-arrows. In a single swift-motion, E.N.D. dodged a few, but some icicles impelled his clothes and wings. Snarling, he ripped an arrow from his wing, only for more to come left and right, not allowing it to heal properly.

At this point, Gray was already growing tired from using so much magic in a few hours. Huffing, he aimed one last attack as E.N.D. merely laughed, stepping aside... Yet as he did, the ice-arrow struck his black-precious scarf that was tied around his waist. Everything grew silent, E.N.D. watched and heard as the fabric teared.

Suddenly, the air grew harder to breathe and Gray's ice started to melt... Even solid-rocks turned to mush. Gray stood in shock, fear creeping in the back of his throat, and for the first time—Gray Fullbuster felt cold.

The two were away from the others, and even then, they had their own fight to deal with. So it's not like Gray could shout for help, nor would he want to put his own family and friends against E.N.D.. Gray shakily watched him stare at the ripped scarf, a blank look on his face. Though it didn't last long, his claws tracing the fabric... Natsu's dragon-like eyes shooting straight at him. In a flash, E.N.D. grabbed Gray from his throat and flew them a few feet in the air.

"I lost my beloved treasure... My personal golden-star, and you ruined the only thing that reminded me of her. I was holding back to have some fun, but now... YOU'LL EXPERIENCE WHAT A TRUE DEMON-LORD CAN DO!!!" The last part came off as a dragon-roar—Gray gripped around E.N.D.'s claw-like hand that was around his neck, trying to inhale a little bit of oxygen into his lungs. But it was no use. Snickering at the struggle, E.N.D. dived to the ground where the rest of the mortals were.

~

(Unknown POV.)

'Where am I...?'

There was darkness everywhere, swallowing me whole. Not even a sound or peep—I don't know how long I've been here, but it's starting to scare me. I've always hated the dark... It reminded me of when I was all alone.

Suddenly, I heard a sinister laughter. Along with cries and explosions coming from a certain direction... It was faint, but still there. Twirling in the dark, a bright-glow illuminated the shadows and caught my attention. Looking down to see my keys jingling, twinkling in their personal light.