chapter two

Warning: Staron and Brutasha.

  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ C H A P T E R T W O ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  

The facility was filled with numerous chatters once again. Phone calls resonated against the metal walls, as well as the continuous tapping of the computer screens. The SHIELD agents conversed with one another quietly—yet due to the growth of population, their discrete chatter buzzed around the whole floor.

The Avengers were surprisingly—not being sent on a mission today. They would mostly be doing a lot of training to keep them in shape. All were chatting one another with a smile, sometimes, a good laugh would come up too.

But their captain was distracted. He remained quiet and would only pipe in the conversation if he was asked or talked to directly. His mind drifted off to the young agents he had found lurking in the hallway last night.

He had hoped to see them when he went down to the main working area of the SHIELD agents but was disappointed when he didn't see either one of them. Something about them was strange yet he couldn't quite put his finger on what it is.

"Steve?" he jerked his head sideways to find Natasha looking at him in concern, "Are you alright?" she asked.

"Oh, yeah." he blinked a few times, looking to see his other teammates still chattering around, "Sorry, I spaced out."

Natasha frowned, "Is something wrong?"

"No, I just—I'm thinking." he added, "I'm looking for someone."

"I think Sharon went out to get the documents—"

"No, not her." he cut her off. When the spy gave her a look of confusion, he suddenly asked, "Did Stark ever mentioned something about SHIELD having new recruits?"

She shook her head, "Not that I know of. Why?"

"Before I went to sleep last night, FRIDAY informed me that there was someone trying to access the elevators at level 2. So I checked it out and found a guy and a girl looking lost."

"And? What did they tell you?" she questioned.

"That they were actually the new recruits of Stark and had been told to stay in the facility because they would be given their final breaching today."

Natasha raised an eyebrow, "Today? But Tony won't be back until tomorrow. Are you sure they're telling the truth?"

He ran a hand through his hair, sighing, "I don't know. I mean I did ask them the security question and they passed. We all know that only SHIELD agents know the answer to that."

"Let me guess," A teasing smirk formed on the red-head's lips, "Language?"

Steve visibly reddened, "Stop it."

Natasha slumped back in the couch, "Well, you said it yourself—they gave you the answer you needed. So what are you worrying about? They're just a couple of average SHIELD agents too."

"Yes, but.." he trailed off, looking around, "I don't know. There's something about them that makes me curious."

The spy rolled her eyes, "Let it go for now. If it makes you feel any better, I'll keep an eye out for them too."

"Really?"

She nodded, "Yeah, just tell me what they looked like."

He hesitated to answer, scratching the back of his head. He smiled apologetically, "I didn't actually see them crystal clear last night because it was dark but I do remember the guy being blonde and the girl being a red-head."