Resurfacing

Ever since the instance in the dining pavilion, Lucian had been finding it hard to control his emotions.

Having to sit at the table of the God he used to call 'Dad' for the first time in 500 Earth years really messed with his mindset. It was as though the table had its own way to sense that it was him, that it knew who he used to be.

The sense of belonging that he felt sitting at that table scared him, it felt so right to have been sitting there. It shouldn't have felt that way, not after all of these years, after all of this time.

The moment dinner was over, Lucian was one of the first out, the other Angel quickly following him as they gave him looks of understanding whenever he would glance their way.

Now, it was night time and Hera had begrudgingly granted them permission to use her cabin as their resting quarters until the war was over.

Lucian and the others were in said cabin, none of them really feeling tired but also not bothered to have to either run from or deal with the Harpies that patrolled.

Nia looked at Lucian from where she was hanging upside down from her chosen bunk, her long brown locks falling below her, she was above Py -of course-. She looked at him with concern in her eyes.

"How've you been today, Luc?" She asked, the others all stopping what they were doing to pay attention to what their leader was going to say. How considerate.

Lucian sighed, closing the book he was reading and pulling his sock-clad feet towards himself as he sat forward. Shutting his eyes for a brief second, he allowed himself to properly assess his emotions for the first time today. He ran a hand through his hair, now that they were in privacy they had no need for their hoods.

"I..." He started but sighed, finding it hard to put his thoughts into words. Something unlike Lucian again, Lucian supposed to always be able to form a coherent line of thought even under immense pressure. This wasn't like him. Lucian shrugged in defeat as he became frustrated with his inability to express his feelings.

"Take your time, Luc," Skó piped up from her spot on the carpet beside Ky. They were sat at the foot of Ros' bed, Ky occasionally tickling Ros' feet whenever they came into view. Skó had her black hair twisted into a French plait, falling over her shoulder. She gave him a supportive smile, the action causing her sharp cheekbones to become more defined.

Lucian worked hard to collect his thoughts, taking a steadying breath. "I.. feel uneasy, on edge. Being here... I thought it wouldn't affect me that much, it's been so long, after all. But it feels worse than how it would have if it had only been a day, or a week, or something..." His shoulders slumped in defeat. He didn't understand why this was happening.

After talking with the others for a while he smiled at them softly "Thanks, guys. Talking about this really helped," The others gave him smiles and words of support in return.

Lucian sighed to himself, closing his eyes for a few seconds before he opened his book once again. A couple of minutes of comfortable silence rang through the cabin, only being broken by murmurs of conversation among the other Angels. Lucian felt the mattress dip to his right side, looking up he saw Mai sitting beside him.

She smiled at him, her chocolate eyes shining with kindness, as they always do. She pushed her caramel hair out of her face and behind her ear as she spoke "Y'know, Luc, if anything is ever bothering you, we're always going to be here, okay?" Lucian looked at her, forcing himself to smile gratefully at the smaller girl.

"Thanks, Mai. But I'm okay now, honest. Talking to you all helped me a lot." The smile she gave him caused her nose to scrunch up in a way that reminded Lucian of a bunny. A ginger bunny. Do those things even exist? Lucian didn't know, but he also didn't care so it really didn't matter.

"Okay, Luc," She pushed herself up from her leader's bed "Just letting you know." With another small smile sent in his direction, she walked towards Tos, who was sittingv cross-legged on her own bed and throwing a piece of metal she had broken off of her bed frame into the air.

Lucian kept his smile up until his team of Angels were all occupied with each other or something else. No longer being watched, he allowed his smile to fall as he leaned back against his bed headpost and looked back to the book in his lap. He was only on page 20 and it had been 2 or so hours. The words wouldn't stop moving. This hadn't happened since he was... Alive.

Rubbing a hand over his face, he thought about Mai and her kind words. Her kind smile in regards to his lie said she was pleased with his answer, that she believed him when he reassured her he was perfectly fine.

Her eyes said she didn't.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Haha.. sup guys? *sweatdrop* How are you doing? Sorry for taking so long, a g a i n. My attention span is awful. I just recently got super obsessed with Descendants, especially my boy Harry. He is so gay I love him. And people think he's a top??? What?? Have you seen him?? There is no way that British (Scottish, but it still counts as British, so you know what I mean) Twink is topping anybody! Especially Gil, son of Gaston, most muscled, strongest guy on the crew. Ain't happenin' sorry bout it. ANYWAY enough of my ranting, hope you enjoyed the chapter! Feedback is always appreciated (Especially comments, they're the reason I'm still writing this fic) See y'all next chapter x

Published: 20:56 1st December 2017

Word Count: 994