00

The single window inside my room is a mockery. It's in the center of a single room, and overlooks a fake garden surrounded by its own walls. They change the flowers every season, Sunflowers in the fall, Roses in the summer. The spring and winter flowers change every few years, for at least every year that I've been here.

Sixteen years I've been stuck in my own hell. Surrounded everyday, the only human contact being when they take me for experiments. Experiments that burn my blood and boil my skin. Experiments that I will never be able to forgive them for.

I knew everything. History and science of things I've never even heard nor seen of. The Roman war and the battle of France, how gravity and space works and how music is created. I read everything they gave me and sucked it up like a sponge. I knew well over ten languages, the way the human body worked, and it was scary.

I'm a freak now.

A freak with a barcode at the nape of my neck, and a number on my wrist.

005.

That's all I am. That's my name, the only thing I'm called. Except for sometimes, David, he calls me Sang. Because I used to sing apparently. I don't remember, I don't remember a time I ever sang, I barely ever even speak.

The door opened as the man that runs everything walks in, his balding head shining under the bright lights. My hair was pulled back in a tight braid, as I watched him. I could see the dark shadow that attached itself to him. The way it clung to his body like a second skin, sucking in any life he gave off.

"Tonight, you're going to find my son." I cringed and immediately shook my head.

His son was dead. He's been dead for well over four years, after being attacked by the creatures his father was obsessed with.

I don't know what they are. Only that they're not human, something dark and twisted. I wanted to call them demons, except they're not exactly that. They're something worse, something more twisted. They were what he was obsessed with.

"005, is is your job, your duty, to do this." I shook my head again as my eyes flickered around, the pounding of my heart increasing. I knew what I had to do, because this can't go on any longer. I can't do this anymore.

I have to escape.

The fire started in my palms, a growing heat that erupted into a burning inferno. It exploded everywhere, licking up the walls and finding anything that it could eat. It grabbed onto the man, onto my 'Papa,' as he wanted me to call him, and burned him alive.

I didn't feel remorse. I should've, but I just felt nothing.

I ran after that. Down the hallways, twisting and turning. My hands thrust out as people ran at me, throwing them back and pulling the doors and table out in front of them. I ran and ran until I finally felt the warmth of the sun, the blaring of the fire alarm from the place I was locked up in the background behind me.

I had no where to go. No where to run. No food, no money, absolutely nothing. I barely even had clothes, black leggings and a grey sweatshirt that never belonged to me.

But it didn't matter. I was finally free.

***
Two years

The building I was in was freezing. The sounds of the wind and rain screaming as I tried to think of something. I was tired, my bones hurt, and the only thing keeping me warm was the fire that my own hands created.

I would never thank the place for experimenting on me, but without them, I'd be dead by now. My stomach growled as I huddled into myself, a flame playing in my palm. My eyes flickered up as the familiar sound screamed out, the sound of the demons, the black things.