.05

Something about the stars within the city always made me happy. Even when I was running, both from the place with the white walls, the Helvions, and now the guys, they somehow made me happy. I shouldn't be happy though, at least that's what I was telling myself. I don't deserve it.

I need to get farther away. I didn't think the guys would tell anyone who I was, but I didn't know. I thought the guard David, I thought he'd protect me. But he practically threw me to the wolves, of Helvions more so.

I watch the lights twinkle above me, not paying attention as I walk. I seem to walk for hours, until my wounds on my feet are open and bloody again, and the sun rose up to cover up its brothers and sisters. I smile at my analogy, before climbing up a tree and letting my feet hang over the side.

I didn't know exactly where I was, but I knew I must still be in Charleston.

I let myself bask in the warmth of the sun, let myself be free for a few moments. I didn't care about what happened earlier, I knew it had to be done. If they thought I was a freak now, later they'd think I was even worse. I finally slipped back onto the ground, letting my feet take me places. I didn't bother looking where I ended up, letting the darkness of the city consume me.

I ended up in North Charleston, the part of town that almost was always covered in gloom. My eyes flickered to the shop I was passing, the sound of mechanical drills filling the air. I could see some type of bikes lined up neatly along the wall, and one of those car things in the center. I was almost past it when I felt it, my body stiffening involuntarily.

My eyes sought it out quickly, narrowing on a woman leaning against the wall staring at me. She had bright green eyes and long dark brown hair, her lips quirked in a smirk as she simply watched me. She was actually inside of the shop, her willowy frame leaning against the corner of the farthest walls.

She began stalking forward, her eyes flashing black as she moved out into the open space. I watched her fingers extend, my eyes flickering over her body. I wish I could say she was just sad when she was taken over, but god, she was angry. She was filled with such an immeasurable amount of rage that she welcomed the creature inside of her. She wanted the power that came with it, she wanted to be one with it.

She may be a puppet right now, but she could still control the strings.

"Hello little one." Her voice came out more of a purr, silky smooth as she twirled her fingers at me.

"I'm sorry." I said, my hands reaching absentmindedly into my pocket for my knife, only for panic to race through me.

Owen had it, Owen has my fucking knife.

"Oh no! Such a shame." She mocked me, pulling a face before letting her fangs elongate within this meat suit, something I didn't even know they could do. "Time to have some fun."

I stumbled backwards slightly, my legs tripping over a rock as I went down and she advanced. I held my breath as she wrapped her hand around my throat, lifting me up into the air as I struggled and kicked my feet out.

"Kayli!" Someone shouted, her eyes growing wide as she dropped me. Her eyes grew back to normal, her fangs receding as she snarled at me.

"You're lucky today." I narrowed my eyes as she spun, scrambling up as I raced after her.

She ran into a busy street, my eyes flickering around to try and find some type of knife. They widened before setting on a street vendor selling knife kits, my eyes squeezing shut before I raced over to his table. I waited till he was speaking with someone before slipping one of the smaller knifes off of the table, taking a few steps as I slid it into my pocket.

I meant against a wall, shutting my eyes as I searched the air. I could remember the taste of her, the smell she made the air grow, how cold and desolate it felt. My eyes snapped open as I looked south, a parking lot filled with cars.

Gotcha.

My bare feet were screaming in agony now as I ran, my tangled hair whipping around me as I dodged the crowds of people. I stumbled through the archway letting into the parking, my eyes narrowing onto her. Her back was turned to me as she stood between multiple men, five men, her tending in directly the center.

She turned her head slowly, her eyes narrowed on me as she grinned a malicious grin. I watched as her fingers grew, elongating to claws at her side as she paused momentarily. That's when I heard the scream, the shriek, the air growing so cold I could see my breath leaving my mouth.

The guys next to her spun around, my eyes catching them as I turned over my shoulder and saw a massive Helvion not far behind me.

"Fuck."

I sprinted forward, running straight for her as she grinned and raised her claws. My eyes widened as I jumped, shoving the man closest to her out of the way as she swiped. It burned my skin, across my chest and stomach. She grinned as she spun, my feet starting out for her when I heard the monster screams as well as voices I didn't know.

I halted and turned, my eyes flickering from the Helvion to the men she was with. A large man with tattoos running up and down his arms stared st the Helvion, his eyes wide as he pushed a blonde behind him. My eyes flickered from the blonde to the other beside him, nodding as I realized they were twins, one wearing a faded t shirt and one wearing a leather jacket, even in this heat.

The burning spread through my chest, my palm pressing flat as another hand pressed against my chest. I flinched, looking up to mismatched eyes that stared at me widely. One green eye, one blue with dark brown hair providing a contrast against his tan skin. A Native American man stood behind him, his dark hair split down the middle and falling down to his ears.

"I'm sorry." I didn't mean to drag them into it, and judging by the way they were all staring at the Helvion I either selected them or they'd seen as much death as I had.

I spun from him, sprinting straight to the Helvion and feeling my palm heat up. I jumped, clinging onto its shoulders as it spun and tried to fling me off. I sat on its back as I shoved my fist into its back, searching for its heart as I lit my hand completely on fire. I grit my teeth as the burning became more intense, gripping the knife and pushing it through the back of its head.

It screamed, a shrieking that pulsed through my ears as it collapsed, the weight of it falling backwards and straight onto me. I cringed, struggling to take a deep breath as I groaned. I shoved its heavy body off of me, rolling and pushing myself up onto my hands and knees.

"Holy, what the, what the fuck!?" I looked up, one of my eyes squinting as the blonde wearing the leather jacket stared at me.

"Fucking hell." I muttered, my hand pressing against my chest as I stood. I looked up to the blonde, his eyes wide as he stared at me while his friends all stood behind him.

I pulled my hand away, my eyebrows furrowing. Why wasn't I healing? My hand was covered in blood, the burning continuing to spread through my chest and down my veins. My blood felt like it was on fire, and I could barely breath. What was this? Why wasn't I healing?

I looked back to the blonde, the ground beneath my feet swaying as I blinked at him. His eyes widened as he rushed forward, air rushing past my ears as I felt myself tip down. "Call Sean!"

I was so, so tired of passing out.