Rose Petals

Staying in the hospital wasn't as bad as I thought. If you don't count the awkward amount of people to come and check up on me. Then they realize I broke my leg to see a dog.

Getting bored of the same story over again, I would tell people I don't remember. Honestly, I wish I didn't, but of course, I did.

A lot of people I actually talked to came to visit me. Lola did, like, a lot. Then Kevin did, you remember him? Yeah, he's pretty chill. This chick who apparently is in my English class visits me, her name's Lilith.

One day, no one visited me. Yeah it was nice to have a day of quiet, but it scared me. Maybe, they just didn't care anymore? If that was the case, then why did they keep sending me these stupid roses? Oh, I forgot to mention: I hate roses. But, what I do like is chocolate, lots of it.

I don't like the stereotype that girls love flowers and guys despise them, I just don't get it? I, myself, don't really get the big idea of flowers, but everyone has an opinion I suppose.

"Tairus? Correct?" I heard a voice call from the doorway and lost my train of thought as I shut my notebook.

"Yeah, that's me. What's up?" Hiding the notebook under my pillow, I sit up straight and try and to not make as much noise as I can.

"We... We have some news. Good news, and bad news." The doctor began to shuffle in his place, hands shaking over his clipboard as he sat down beside me.

Staring at him, I waited for an answer. My face became numb as I waited for the announcements.

"Well... Um... I'm sorry to tell you this, but, the good news is, you'd be in a wheelchair."

"Really, that's the good news? The bad news must be I'm dying." Laughing at my joke, I soon stop as I see the judgemental eyes stare back at me.

"Tairus, this is no joking matter. Because of the condition you are in, you will have to stay in the hospital for many weeks, just to have it heal over time."

Mouth wide open, I couldn't help but just stay quiet and nod to myself. I can't believe this. Stay at the hospital? And what? Go crazy? Yeah, sounds like a good time.

A few days go by, and it honestly sucks in here. My family come to visit for half an hour a day, and then leave. That's it. No friends come and visit me. Nobody seems to care.

My hand burns while I'm writing my notes down to myself, documenting my journey of something that shouldn't be so serious. The burning sensation is nothing new, but it's been burning a lot more lately whenever I write.

A few hours pass, and as I go to sleep, I hear the door open.

"Who's there?" I call out, not honestly caring, but a little bit scared.

"It's me, Lola. Don't worry, I'm just here to check up on you." I can hear the smile within her words.

"Oh, okay." I turn to go to sleep, but then I feel her sit next to me, her hand now on my side.

She takes in a deep breath, and pinches it quickly, quick enough so I don't feel it.

"What was that for!" Yelling, I push her off and began to rub the spot. It had already left a bruise, bummer.

"I... I..." She can't seem to make up an excuse, so what does she do? She runs.

By the time I'm even able to process what's happening, she's already long gone and I'm still here, in the pitch black darkness, alone.

Morning arrives and I'm dreading the day already. Just waking up and not wanting to, surprised? Not really.

Keeping my eyes open for even five seconds was a struggle, I couldn't stop blinking and it felt ad though all the worlds weight was on my shoulders.

That's when the burning pain in my hand starts again, although this time I scream from the pain. It feels as though thousands of needles are stabbing into my skin and jabbing at it, taking out skin.

Someone must've heard me because not long after, I have a nurse running in asking me what's wrong.

Tears run down my face as the pain escapes, and suddenly I'm okay again. As though the pain was never there.

"I'm fine, now. Honestly. I just... Had a slight pain in my hand." Rubbing my hand, I smiled and tried avoiding eye contact as the nurse nodded and wrote that down? Maybe? Who knows, she could be writing about ways she could get rid of this place, I don't blame her.

Tick, tock.

Today is the day I'm finally able to leave!

Tick, tock.

I have five minutes, and thirty three... Thirty two... Thirty one... And so on, seconds to go.

Tick, tock.

Finally able to go home.

Tick, tock.

Able to see my friends at school.

Tick, tock.

Able to... Go home to... My family...

Tick, tock.

I'm not sure if I want to go home now. I know I've been wanting this, but I feel like something would be missing.

Tick, tock.

"Tairus Ryan, your family is here to take you home."

"Thank you."