Letters

Silence struck the room, everyone has their eyes on us. We're staring at each other, nothing is said.

I scoff, and walk away, someone grabs my arm.

"Yes, it's true." Lola sighs, before letting me go. No string is seen from my view, so I can't return the connection even if I try.

"I'm sorry, Lola." I search for the door, so I can leave, but Mr.Davis holds me back.

"Tairus, where do you think you're going? We still have ten minutes of class left." He crosses his arms, and points to my seat.

Shaking my head, I run to the door, look back once more, and run.

While running, I hear footsteps behind me.

"Hey, wait!" Jane yells at me, causing me to stop in my tracks. She ends up bumping into me, apparently she wasn't that far behind.

"What is it? What now? Are you going to yell at me or something?"

"No, why would I? You're... Different, you know? My string, it's connected with Lola. Yeah, bummer." Jane confesses to me, shrugging. "It changes a lot, though, so I guess it's never permanent for me." She hugs me, picking me up a little as she does.

"I guess we're not that different. I may not have a string, but... Feelings are feelings." I smile, and we both began walking back to class, when the bell rings. Thinking it wouldn't matter, we just went to our next classes.

It was time to leave to go home, so as I was walking, I hear yelling.

Turning, I see a truck coming my way with people halfway out of it. Turns out, it was Troy, and his brother Joseph. They seemed to have other people in the back, and one of them was Daniel! Oh my god, this is embarrassing.

"Hey, Tairus, wanna take a ride with us?" Troy laughs, and opens up the truck.

"Uh, sure." I step into the truck, and realize I am now sitting next to Daniel.

Daniel, he's just so... Gorgeous. His chestnut hair, his chocolate like eyes. I just can't help to stare until I realize he noticed I am.

"Joseph, we need to pick up a friend of mine, alright? She doesn't have a ride." Troy tells Joseph, who asks for directions.

Approaching the friend, it's someone I've never seen before. Well, honestly, I probably have seen them, but I've most likely ignored them.

"Tairus, hey scoot! She needs to sit in the back with you guys."

I scoot closer to Daniel, who seems to not be bothered, thank God. You know what? Daniel is playing on his phone with headphones, now that's something I wish I was doing.

The girl jumps in, and the first thing I see is her hair. Wow, her hair is long, and it's a beautiful shade of orange.

"Hello! I'm Taylor." She also had a British accent, huh.

"Hi, I'm Tairus. This is Daniel." I gesture towards Daniel, who is now paying attention.

He waves at her and her face instantly goes red. Daniel really is good with people am I right?

We're dropping Daniel off, when he leans over and hugs me. Surprised by his action, I hug back. He then hugs Taylor and suddenly I'm jealous. Why? I'm not sure myself.

"Goodbye, ladies. Oh, and goodbye Joseph, Troy. Thanks for the ride!" He bumps fists with Troy, and hugs Joseph.

"You're going to have to pay for gas for now on, we give you rides almost everyday!" Troy jokes, and they laugh.

"Yeah, okay, I'll get you guys $10 tomorrow." Daniel winks at them, and then says goodbye to Taylor and I once more, before walking into his house.

Looking over at Taylor, she was still looking at the direction Daniel walked in as we were driving away.

Rolling my eyes, I wave my hand in front of her, and she blinks, before laughing nervously to herself. She apologizes, and we're all good again.

We're now at my house, and I thank them for a ride, and tell Taylor it was nice to meet her, and she said the same thing back.

Walking inside, my mom is standing there, arms crossed. I can tell that's she's going to yell at me, so I sit down and wait for it. But, what happened next, really surprised me.

"Lola called, she said she's sorry. You should... Go talk to her. It must be hard for her to go through this."

I don't say anything, and head to my room. Before opening my door, I stop and say, "Mom, this friend of mine confessed that she was connected to Lola, and hearing that broke my heart." Opening the door, I lock it.

I'm just a mess, aren't I? I've caused pain for people who I consider my friends, and I can't even handle myself as is. What's the point of all this pain?

Sighing, I sit down back against my door, and just sit there. Thinking. Sighing. Coughing. Just, not being okay.

My phone starts to ring and I see my mom is calling, so I pick up.

"Hey, honey, I'm just checking up on you... If you need to talk, I'm here for you. You know that?"

"I know I know, I'm alright. I'll talk to you later, okay? I just want to be alone for a bit."

"I... Understand. I love you."

"I love you too." I hang up, and start heading for my bed.

Upon arriving, I just look down at it, wondering if I should take a quick nap or just read. Yeah, okay, nap it is.

Ring! Ring! Ring!

My alarm goes off and I just lay there, not wanting to wake up. I didn't really dream of anything, and it felt like it lasted for five seconds.

Someone starts knocking on my door, telling me to open it.

Opening the door, I see my dad there, he's got his arms wide open.

"Come give your favorite dad a hug."

I laugh, that's always been a joke between us. Like, him saying I'm his favorite daughter, even though I'm his only daughter.

I hug him, and he picks me up and takes me to the living room, where I pretend to be dead.

"Oh no! Whatever will I do? I'll just... Take out her bed!"

"Nooooo that's the thing I look forward to the most after school!"

"That's actually kinda sad, Tairus."

"I know."

We start laughing again, when the front door opens.

I see Jane there, and she's also with my mom.

"Uh, what's going on? Jane, why are you with my mom?"

Jane runs over and hugs me, and smiles.

"Lola says we're connected! I'm so happy!"

I smile, but I can't help but be disappointed. The thing is, I know Lola wasn't telling Jane the truth, and I didn't want to hurt Jane, so I pretend to be excited for her.

"So, are you guys... A thing now?" I wink, and Jane nods.

"I'm so happy!"