Dreams

Everything just seems so... Strange. It all feels like... It's not real? I'm not sure. Everything is so... Odd.

That's when I woke up, and saw I had a red string. I began pulling on it, and it pulled me off my bed.

"Mom! Mom get in here!" I struggle to stand up, and my mom rushes into my room.

"What is it honey?"

"I-I have a string!" Tears begin to build up in my eyes as I stare at is, it wiggled it's way in my room from my window.

"What do you mean you have a red string, Tairus?" Mom looks very skeptical, and doesn't seem to believe me.

"It's exactly what I said." I snap, before realizing what I did. "I'm... Sorry."

Mom sits me down, and puts her hand on my forehead.

"You must have a fever... Let's get you to a doctor."

We get up, and then begin to head to her car, when I pull back the arm I didn't realize she had her grip on.

"Mom! You have to believe me! I know for my whole life I never had a string... But I do now. And I want to figure out who's on the other side." I confess, as mom freezes up beside her car.

"... Tairus, you might just be sick. Maybe-"

"Mom!" I yell, pulling on the invisible string. "I'm literally pulling on it! Why can't you believe me?"

"Because this has happened before!" Mom yells at me in reply. "It... Has happened before. This wouldn't be the first time you've had a red string. Yes... Your whole life we've told you, you never had a string. The truth is, you've had it so many times in your life, but we had to make up stories about it. We'd tell you it was a dream or... Or just a thought."

Tears begin to run down my face. I've had a string before? I begin to think about all the times I've thought about having a string, but then being shot down.

"You guys lied to me this whole time... This WHOLE time? Are you kidding me? How could you?"

"Because everytime you got hurt... And we didn't want to see you go through that again."

"I can handle being hurt, but this takes the cake. My own mother, my family, had taken away something so important to me." I yell at her, and began to run my way to Jane's house, which wasn't that far away.

Upon arriving, I bang on her door, and soon it opens to a worried Jane.

"Hey, what's wrong? Are you crying, why?" Jane pulls me in and wraps her blanket around me. She offered me hot chocolate, but I had to deny it.

"I... Apparently I have had a red string. You know? I was always told I never did. Told me I was never even born with one. But supposedly... I did." I sniffle, and look at Jane.

Jane is staring at me, before she leans in and kisses me. It took me by surprise, it really did. But suddenly, I can't stop myself and I end up kissing her back.

She pulls away and looks down, "I'm sorry, I wasn't expecting myself to do that... I kinda went with my gut." Jane pushes back her hair, as she stands up.

My throat goes dry and I don't know what to do. I was just kissed by a girl who I had recently became friends with. A girl who was a total beauty, with a wonderful personality. I then look down to realize my string didn't connect to her, which had made me upset.

"Um... Anyways... With your string, do you know who's it connected with?" Jane asked me, taking a sip of her hot chocolate. Her eyes seemed to be glistening with tears. She knew.

"I'm not quite sure yet, I have been thinking about it a lot though." I admit it, I have been wondering who I was connected with this whole time.

"I'm sure you'll find out eventually. I wish you the best of luck." Jane smiles at me as I stand up to leave. I carefully put down the blanket. Jane and I stare at one each other for a solid minute, before I rushed out the door.

I stop as soon as I get out of her house, and lean my back on her door. Damn, I did really love that girl. Wait, I didn't feel this way until now... Is it because I know there is no way we're connected? Perhaps...

"Tairus?" I open my eyes to see someone standing in front of me.

"Lola? Why are you here?"

"I... Came to check in Jane. She hasn't been really well since... Yeah." Lola scratches the back of her neck and I run down to her.

"That's good of you." I whisper, and hug her closely to me.

"Thanks... I think." Lola asked, before letting me go. Making her way up on the porch, she knocks on the door.

Jane opens the front door, and freezes up upon seeing Lola.

"Lola? What are you doing here? I wasn't expecting you."

"Jane, I'm sorry for what I put you through. I... Really do like you. I do, I promise you I do." I couldn't really hear what she was saying, while walking away. I felt as thought his was a them thing and I shouldn't have been there.

"I... Understand." Jane hugs Lola, and she is looking at me.

We look at each other as we both hear Lola begin to say something, and suddenly we hear her say, "Will you give me another shot?"

"I... Will. Lola, I will."