Chapter 4: The Girl Who Knows

I couldn't believe I had just given away my biggest secret. How could I for get that Hayley can read minds?

I chased Hayley out into the front yard. Then she stopped.

"Hayley, what exactly did you hear?" I asked between breathes.

"You know I only hear loud thoughts, and you were thinking very loudly. You... you're gay?" She asked sadly.

I nodded.

"Then why didn't you tell me?" She asked tears welling up in her eyes.

"I... I just thought you wouldn't like me as a friend anymore. I was scared. I'm sorry." I said sympathetically.

"And ... you like him? Daylon? That's the worst part, you know magicians shouldn't fall in love with mortals. It's just not right." She said beginning to cry.

"Hayley, I'm so sorry. If you just got to know him. Then you'd understand." I said walking up next to her and putting my arm her.

"I know this is a lot to take in, but please don't tell anyone else. You know what will happen if anyone else finds out. Especially my parents." I said clammily.

She nodded. We both turned around and went back inside.

The party ended soon after that. Everyone left except for Hayley, Tiy, Taylor, Daylon, and me.

We all sat around on the couches talking and laughing. After a while, Tiy and Taylor left, and Hayley was cleaning the in the other room, leaving me and Daylon alone on the couch.

"Hey, thanks for saving my life back there." Daylon said scooting closer to me.

"It was nothing, really." I said kinda scooting away from him.

"No, really thank you. Your really nice, and funny, and..." He said scooting closer to me.

Suddenly, Hayley gasped and dropped something. I got up and ran to see what was wrong. But when I got in there, Hayley was just fine, in fact she was smiling.

"Oh, sorry. clumsy me." She said with an ear to ear grin. I knew she knew something I didn't. I was about to ask what, when my dad knocked on the door.

Hayley answered as quickly as possible.

"I'm here to pick up Kyi and Dalon." My dad said grumpily.

"You mean Daylon?" Hayley asked.

"Ya, ya what ever his name is." My dad said.

As we walked out the door, Hayley gave me a wink. I knew exactly what that meant. That meant, "I'll tell you at school."

..............................................................................

Finally, Monday has come. The secret that Hayley has been keeping from me, has been driving me nuts.

I made my dad take me to school because it's faster than the bus.

When I got there, Hayley was waiting for me in front of the school. I ran to join her.

"Hey, we have a lot to talk about." Hayley said with a smile.

"What did you hear Friday night when Daylon and I were talking?" I asked.

"Oh, should I spoil the surprise or should I wait until Daylon tells you?" She asked.

"Tell me what?" I asked.

Hayley sighed and caved.

"I was going to let Daylon tell you but... Daylon likes you. No, he don't just like you he loves you. He was going to tell you when I kinda interrupted. But know he plans to do it on your birthday this Friday. He wants to tell you by text, so if he asks for your number, give it to him. Then, at your birthday party on Friday night, he wants to ask you out! In person! Oh, it's so romantic!!" Hayley said really fast but I got all of it. 

I was speechless. All through out the rest of the day, I could do anything but think about him. He really wanted to go through all that trouble just for me. Now, I couldn't wait till Friday.