Chapter 13: I Would Die for You

Great grandma's funeral was a couple days later. So many people showed up for her funeral. I have never seen so many people in one place before.

After grandma's funeral, my mom insisted that I start reading the book grandma gave to me. I was a little reluctant, because of how big it was, but I started reading it anyway.

One night, I decided to flip through the pages. half way through the book, I found that the pages were blank. I went back and looked again. I found the first plank page and discovered a letter in between the pages.

I pulled it out and opened the sealed envelope. I pulled out the piece of pager inside the envelope and read it. It said:

My dearest Kyi,

I gave you these secrets of time because, not to defend your self, because I found you worthy of them. I've known many great magicians in my time, but none have had the potential you do. You will do great things. I believe in you, Kyi, don't you ever doubt that.

I have left the rest of this book blank, because I know you need somewhere to put all the great discoveries you are going to make. You are a brilliant magician, Kyi. You will defeat this fear creature, but remember, nothing in this world is free. His defeat will come at a prise.

I love you, Kyi. You are my grandson and the most wonderful person I have ever encountered. I have faith in you. You will do great things. Remember what I told you at you father's funeral, death is never the answer. You are stronger than that. I love you, Kyi.

Love,

Great Grandma Diana

I folded the letter and put it in the top drawer of my night stand. I pondered her words for a while.

"Nothing in this word is free?" I whispered to myself.

I got an idea. I turned and pulled the letter out again and looked at the top right corned. there was a date, the date that the letter was written. November 15, 1812. This letter is two hundred years old. She saw all this two hundred years before it happened, and didn't try to change anything. If she didn't change anything, then there must be a happy ending to this story. If there was anything Great grandma hated most, it was a story that didn't have a happy ending.

"His defeat will come at a prise." I whispered to myself.

What was that prise? My thoughts were interrupted by someone knocking on the door.

"Come in." I said putting the letter in the book and closing the book. Daylon opened the door and walked into the room as silently as he could.

"Hey," I said sitting up.

"Hey," he replied sitting next to me. We sat there in silence for a while.

"I just wanted to see if you were okay, you know after what you've been through." Daylon said breaking the silence.

"I'm fine," I lied. Daylon looked at me closely and saw through my lie.

"No your not, what's bothering you?" He asked looking into my eyes.

I sighed and open the book again. I pulled out the letter and handed it to him. He read it then looked at it with a puzzled look.

"What does she mean by 'His defeat will come with a prise'?" He asked reading the letter again.

"I have no idea, but it can't be good." I said as he handed me the letter.

"What ever this 'prise' is, I would pay it." Daylon said with a kind smile.