Chapter 9: The Next Chapter

I was still crying after three hours. I couldn't believe my dad had been murdered. I still remember the last thing I said to him, "You are not my father, never was never will be!" I cried even harder. I couldn't stand not telling someone. I called Daylon once I regained my composure.

"Kyi, what did that guy want?" He asked when he anwsered. I began to sob again.

"Oh my god, Kyi, what's wrong? What happened?" He asked now very concerned.

"My... my dad... was murdered... last night, looking for me!" I said in between sobs.

"Oh my, I'll be right over." Daylon said hanging up.

I collapsed onto my bed, completely loosing it. I sobbed into my pillow. A minute later, Daylon was standing in my door way. I sat up, my eyes red, and my vision fuzzy from tears. He came over, sat down next to me, and wrapped him arms around me.

"Oh this is all my fault." He said painfully.

"No, this is not your fault. I'm the one who dragged you into this. This is my fault... The last thing I said to my father was ' You are not my father, never were, never will be.'" I said hugging Daylon even tighter.

He thought for a second. Then sighed.

"You know, I lost my father. Actually, pretty recently. Last year, my dad was shot in Iraq. I still remember the day they told me. I didn't stop crying for days. Finally my mom gave this advice, she told me "Don't dwell on the dead, for death is only the next chapter in the book of life." I know that sounds cheesy but I thought about and after a couple hours I stopped crying. Even now, I can still feel my father next to me guiding me in times of need. He was never truly gone, he is always with me. Same with you. Keep your father alive by never forgetting him." Daylon said his face un changing.

I looked up at him. I couldn't believe he had just said that. He sounded so mature. He had probably given this a lot of thought. I reached up and kissed him. He wasn't exspecting it. His eyes widened in surprise, then he calmed and began to kiss back. I suddenly felt better. In his arms I felt save, I felt all the pain disappear.

When he pulled back, I smiled.

"Thank you. I love you." I said sweetly.

" I love you to." he said putting his arm around me. 

......................................................................................................................

We had the funeral a couple days later. Everyone showed up. The entire family, and several family friends, and some people I don't even know.

I even saw my great grandma Diana. She is one of the most powerful witches in history. She is the first witch in history to learn the secrets of time. She has complete control over time, she can even choose what age she is. She once showed up to a family reunion as a five year old. Imagine, the knowledge of a four hindered year old lady in the hands of a five year old. Hectic, I know.

At this particular occasion she was fifty at least. She was tall, thin and elegant. She wore her finest black silk dress. She came up to me and put her hand of my shoulder as I stood over my father's grave.

"You know you are an exceptionally powerful wizard. You come from a long line of very powerful witches and wizards. Let's see there's Merlin, Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel, Cleopatra, and of course me. There are so many that I can hardly remember all of them. What I'm trying to say is that you are an amazing wonderful kid. I know what usually happens when something this traumatic happens to a young kid like you. This usually ends up in you killing someone else or your self, I just want you to know, you are better than that. I don't want to end up like the millions of other that go though this. Promise me." She said. I looked up at her.

"I promise. I have something that those other don't or didn't. I have great friends and family that care." I said hugging her. She hugged me back and we head off to her car.

"Oh by the way, I'm going to be spending the next few day at your house. Your mother is paranoid that who ever did this will come after you or her or what ever. She wants me to stay until they catch who ever did this." Grandma said as we got in the car.

"Why does she think that?" I asked.

"Your father was very powerful, so it would take more than a mere mortal to kill him." She said gravely.

That's when it hit me. She was right. Who ever did this use magic to knock my dad unconscious then shot him with a gun , making it look like a mortal did it. I suddenly felt really scared.

"Now don't worry, I'll be there. If anything is going to get to you, they'll have to go through me first." She said reassuringly. I smiled. 

............................................................................................. 

When we got home. I went straight to my room to start putting up magical defenses, but something caught my eye. I saw a envelope on my bed. It had my name on it in perfect hand writing. I grabbed it and opened it. In it was a letter. It said:

Dear Kyi,  

I hate to see you in pain. So, I have decided to end you're pain. I have ran away by now. I would love to stay, but I can't stand to hurt you anymore. I love you, I truely do but I can't stand hurting you. I can't help feeling like all that has happened to you in the last few days have been my fault. You getting expelled, getting you kicked out of your house, getting your dad murdered. All of it was my fault. I still love you, and it kills me to leave you like this but I have to. I wish you happiness.

Love,  

Daylon 

Tears welled up in my eyes and I feel to my knees. I closed my eyes and tears ran down my cheek and fell on the letter. The letter instant ly burst into flames and I dropped it. I sat there and watched as it burned until there was nothing left but ash.