7. Defending, a Duty. (I)

A. N:-
Namaste! To my A Emperor's Journey Readers, I would tell again, this all is more elaborate and a little different here because it's Varsha's journey. That was a small incident for our Samrat, but for her it's traumatizing Realization,  so.. :)Thank you!!

Varsha's POV.

Swami.... Those words felt so natural to call him. I forced myself to concentrate on Pandit Ramkrishnaji, he was looking angry. As we neared, the horse slowed down and Swami got down. My fears took the better of me, but before I could reach he pulled me to him and out of fear, I too leaned on him to get down. But as soon as fear left my mind, I could see a clearly angry Pandit, why was he here now. "Pandit Ramkrishnaji, Namaste!" I said as we were nearing the hut but that seemed to have made him more angry.

"Ramkrishna?" his voice thundered and suddenly I felt my fear returning back only to have multiplied. "I completed my education early for you. So, I can marry you. I secured a job as the assistant of Royal priest of Magadh. I came here to take you, tell you the happy news, I even convinced my parents so we can marry with my parents blessings and we all can leave for Magadh. But you... " he was yelling, gathering everyone's attention. He came near me and I thought he would hit me, so I closed my eyes, but he didn't, he couldn't. Swami pushed him away.  "Don't you dare touch my wife." he said calmly.

I was shocked, Pandit Ramkrishna had fallen down, thank God, he didn't get hurt or it would have been a scene. But he looked angry. If yesterday nights incidents would have never happened then I would have jumped in happiness hearing all that he said. But now, I didn't know how to react. "Take your things quickly Varsha." he said pulling me with him inside the hut. He had to bend to enter the hut and he looked really irritated. Pandit Ramkrishna only was very tall, but Swami was taller though he was younger by 2 years than him.

I quickly took my Krishna Murti, by praying. I then took my parents memories. My clothes and whatever I found valuable that is nothing but very few silver jewellery. I could not afford gold, even I didn't have anything as dowry. And I nodded to him and he exited the hut. But before following him, I once again turned to look at the place I called home for 14 years. I folded my hand at the fire place and entire hut. 'Thank you.' I thought. My eyes watered. My parents.... They would be crying if they were here... I quickly went out, because another moment and I would break down. But as soon as I exited I felt more broken than ever.

Almost the entire village had come. Mukyaji was also there. Maybe Pandit Ramkrishna called them. He went on and on. My ears couldn't take anymore and tears kept flowing from my eyes. He was calling me names. He was questioning my character. Even some other villagers joined them. I am shame to my honest parents... They said. It felt like there was no end to their ruthlessness and insensitivity. From distance, I could see my Maasi, she was veiled but I could identify. She was crying I could tell. I hugged my cloth bag, tightly to myself. But suddenly Swami's loud voice thundered.

"No one is to talk like that to your future queen. She is my wife. We have performed Ghandharva Vivah and it is considered to be auspicious." I couldn't register anything but for the fact that he was defending me. I felt very tired all of a sudden both physically and emotionally. There was demeaning silence. My mind was running faster than the horse we came on. But one look at my Maasi, my thoughts stopped and emotions flooded, I also eyed my Sakhi, my sister. I walked towards them as people made space for me, actually distancing themselves from me like I were a disease. I went to her and told her that she can have the hut. She engulfed me in a hug and I could feel my sister hug me from back, so tight that it pained as my skin was already sensitive. But I couldn't stop smiling. They were all I had, of course I loved people at Kanya Nivas too but I can't bid my farewell with them. They would get the news though... I don't know what they would make of it.

As my emotions twirled, I heard a sweet voice, "Didn't I tell you Sakhi, for your beauty, you would be a queen? I must say Brother in law is so handsome." she said and my eyes widened at her bold statement, she was always the bolder one. I would miss her... But before I could think more about it I heard Maasi's whisper, "I am glad to, about the happenings. Whatever happens, is for the best. He defends your honour and pride. Go my child, be happy." she said and I pulled back, I took her and her husband's blessings. Also of her mother in law. And I walked back to Swami and picked my cloth bag, that I dropped on the ground. He walked towards the horse and I did the same. All were watching.... But before I could complain, he had already lifted me in the horse, our bodies pressed. My cheeks burned from under the veil. As he drove the horse, I saw my village disappear. But my worries won't...

Please Vote, Comment and Share.

And tell me how Varsha looks in your view point..

Is she near one of these (Surprisingly both of them are named Tejaswini).. Take a look

Thank you!
Your feedback means a lotttt!!