Chapter 9:

The car pulled up to the gate and the three of us got out to see the lab had all the lights out.

"Why are the lights off?" Jonathan asked.

"Maybe it's closed?" Nancy suggested.

"Security just took the night off? I don't think so." Jonathan said.

He closed the door and stepped into the building to our left. After repeatedly pressing the button, the gate still didn't open. Nancy walked to the building as well and I moved past her towards the fence.

"It's not working?" Nancy asked.

"No. The power's off." Jonathan said.

The sound of something moving made me turn my head to the woods to our right.

"Jonathan." Nancy said, probably looking as well.

"What?" Jonathan asked.

The noise continued.

"I think there's something in the woods." Nancy said.

I took off towards the woods.

"Lee. Nancy. Stay back." Jonathan ordered.

My jacket sleeve was grabbing, forcing me backwards. I pulled away from Jonathan who had the grip and turned back to face the woods. Lights could be seen through the trees.

"Hello?" Jonathan called. "Who's there."

The lights continued to get closer.

"Who's there?" Jonathan asked again.

People walked out and when they lowered the flashlights we all stopped.

"Steve?" Jonathan and Nancy asked at the same time.

"Nancy?" Steve asked.

"Jonathan? Lee?" Dustin asked.

"What are you doing here?" Nancy asked as they all approached each other.

"What are you doing here?" Steve asked.

Everyone stopped once they met but I remained where I was.

"We're looking for Mike and Will." Nancy said.

"They're not in there, are they?" Dustin asked worried.

"We're not sure." Nancy said.

"Why?" Jonathan asked.

The sound of screeching made us all turn to look at the lab. It started echoing and my heart dropped. Everyone started talking over each trying to figure things out and I turned to the building, not interested in all the yelling. The lights turned on and I felt Nancy beside me.

"The power's back." Nancy said.

I glanced at everyone and took off running back to the fence, everyone following. Once I reached the building I pressed the button to open it with no luck. Jonathan pushed me aside and started to repeatedly press the button with no luck still.

"Let me try." Dustin said pushing Jonathan aside.

I slipped out of the building as Dustin screamed at Jonathan and pushed him back. Dustin couldn't get it to work either and started to press the button again while cussing. The gate opened eventually.

I slipped through the gate as it was still opening and took off running down the pathway.

"Lee! Wait!" Nancy yelled.

I stopped and spun on my heels to face them.

"What are you doing?" Steve asked.

"Well. I've got nothing to loose and there could be people you all love in there." I shrugged.