Chapter 3:

It was Halloween and after a long school day. I stared at the orange piece of paper that was sitting on the desk. Picking it up, I started reading the information on it.

"Lee!" My mom shouted from downstairs.

"Coming!" I shouted.

I quickly ran out of my room and down the stairs to come face to face with my mom dressed up.

"Why aren't you dressed up?" She asked.

"I didn't have time." I lied.

"Really? I would've thought you and Jonathan would've gone together." She admitted.

"Mom." I rolled my eyes. "Jonathan's taking Will out trick or treating and I wanted to help you."

"What's that?" Mom asked pointing to my hand.

I looked down to see I was still holding the orange paper.

"Oh. Just some invite." I shrugged and quickly put it into my pocket.

My mom quickly pulled it back out of my pocket and looked at it.

"Why didn't you go?" She asked as she kept her attention on the paper.

"I already made plans on helping you." I said.

She looked up from the paper and opened her mouth to speak but before she could the doorbell rang. Grabbing the candy bucket from the table beside the door, she handed the paper back to me and threw open the door excitedly.

"Trick or treat!" A bunch of kids screamed.

Mom started passing out candy to them while complimenting their costumes. I sat down on the stairs and watched from afar as my mom had a smile on her face. Minutes later she closed the door and came over to sit beside me on the steps.

"Wait. Hold on." Mom said.

I watched as she disappeared into her room. Seconds later she came out and was holding something behind her back.

"Close your eyes." She ordered.

"Mom." I whined.

"Just close them." She pushed.

I closed my eyes and felt something on top of my head. When I lifted my hand to my head I felt a crown and opened my eyes to see my mom was wearing her crown.

"Now you're dressed up." She grinned.

I gave her a small smile. The doorbell rang and she rushed over to it, opening it excitedly.

"Oh hey Jonathan." She greeted.

I slowly stood up to see Jonathan standing in the doorway.

"Nice crowns." Jonathan laughed.

"Thanks." I laughed.

"Come in." Mom said.

He obeyed and right as she was about to close the door kids ran up.

"What are you doing here? I thought you took Will trick or treating." I asked.

"The kid needs some freedom." He shrugged. "I, uh, was wondering if you wanted to go to that party with me."

I pulled the paper that I had apparently put in my pocket and held it up.

Jonathan nodded. "Yeah."

"I have to help my mom pass out candy." I shook my head.

"Just go." Mom said.

I turned to see her looking at us from the now closed front door.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

She nodded and slid the crown off my head. "Go have fun. Not too much fun though."

Jonathan had to basically pull me out of the house and to his car. Once we were in we turned to face each other.

"You know, you look good in a flower crown." He smiled.

"Hush and drive." I rolled my eyes.

He obeyed and soon we were sitting in Jonathan's car outside a clearly packed house. Kids were outside the house as well..

"Jonathan. Are you sure about this?" I asked nervously.

He grabbed my hand, making me look at him. "Yes. Are you?"

I shrugged. When I turned back to look at the house I saw a kid puking.

"Let's go." I muttered and got out of the car.

Jonathan got out as well and when I met him at the front of the car he grabbed my hand. We walked up to the front door and stepping inside made me even more nervous. Jonathan dragged me along as we moved past people.

"Nice costume." A girl said.

Jonathan let go of my hand and we turned to see a girl dressed in all black.

"Huh?" Jonathan asked.

"Nice costume." The girl repeated.

"Oh uh. Yeah. I'm going as a guy who hates parties." Jonathan said.

The girl started laughing. "I'm Samantha."

"Uh, Jonathan." He said as they shook hands.

She turned to look at me.

"Oh. Lee." I introduced.

We stood there awkwardly and I turned to see Jonathan was watching Nancy dance. They disappeared and I continued to look around to see people from our school dancing.

"Kiss?" Jonathan asked.

I turned to look at him.

"The band." Jonathan corrected.

I went back to looking around and minutes later I felt someone brush past me. Turning, I saw Steve leaving. Jonathan dragged me along with him and we found Nancy in the bathroom, her white shirt stained red. We got Nancy outside and in Jonathan's car somehow.

I sat in the back while Nancy sat in the passenger seat and Jonathan drove. Once we arrived at the Wheelers Jonathan and I went to the passenger's seat and got Nancy out of the car. After struggling a bit, Jonathan and I got her upstairs and into bed.

He started taking her boots off and I sat on the empty space beside Nance. As he started pulling the blanket onto her, she grabbed his arm.

"Jonathan? Lee?" Nancy asked looking between the two of us.

Seconds later her eyes closed and her hand dropped from Jonathan's arm. She was asleep. Jonathan and I shared a look and we finished putting Nancy to bed. As we walked out I turned the lights off and Jonathan closed the door behind us. We got out to his car and sat in silence as he brought me home.

He parked the car in the driveway and we sat in silence for moment.

"Lee?" Jonathan asked.

I looked up at him to see him looking at me.

"Yeah?" I asked quietly.

He hesitated a moment before putting his hand on my cheek. He looked into my eyes for a moment before we both leaned forward. Our lips connected and I moved forward closer to him. After a couple seconds we both pulled away breathless. I bit my lip and looked at Jonathan for a moment before we both started laughing.

"I better get going." He said.

My heart dropped but I nodded.

"See you tomorrow?" He asked hopeful.

"Hopefully." I nodded.

He rested his forehead on mine as we both just enjoyed each other's company.

"You have to get going." I said as I messed with his jacket collar.

I moved away from Jonathan and got out of the car. He drove away as I walked up to the house. Right as I was about to open the door I glanced at the disappearing car and sighed.

Things were different. But I couldn't decide if it was in a good or bad way.