Chapter 15:

Steve continued to yell as us as we ran down the tunnels. As we took another step the ground shook, making us all stop. A monster roared.

"What was that?" Max asked as she stood up. 

Another roar made us turn around to the tunnel we just came out of.

"They're coming." Mike announced. "Run! Run!"

We started running faster and made another turn before we came to where the entrance was in the ceiling. We reached the rope and Steve started helping the kids up all up. Just as Mike got up the monsters were rounding the corner so Steve grabbed the bat.

"Dustin!" I yelled.

He turned and I gestured up to the hole. After helping him up, I turned back to Steve who had his focus on where the monsters were coming from. He had the bat ready.

"Steve! We have to go!" I yelled.

The monsters ran around the corner, making their growls bounce off the walls.

"Steve!" I yelled.

The monsters reached us and I closed my eyes, waiting for the impact. When it didn't happen I opened my eyes to see them running past. Steve grabbed onto me, pulling me closer and we watched them go by. Once they were gone Steve let go of me. Steve helped me out of the hole and I fell back into the dirt, my head spinning more than it was.

"Lee." Mike said.

"Help Steve." I said pushing his hand away.

He stayed by my side and soon all of us were out of the hole.

"Help her." Mike said turning to the others.

Steve walked over and swung my arm around his shoulders, pulling me to my feet. The six of us climbed out of the dirt and were staring down at the dirt, tryin to wrap our heads around what just happened. As we were standing on the grass between the car and the hole the headlights started getting brighter. We turned in confusion and covered our eyes from the brightness. After a couple seconds they dimmed and we all turned to look at each other.

"Lee?" Max asked.

My body went limp and I fell to the ground, pulling Steve with me.

"Lee!" Mike exclaimed.

"Help me get her to the car." Steve ordered the kids.

Soon I felt a lot of hands around me and felt me being carried to the car. I was put in the back of the car and everyone else got in. Steve started driving while the kids kept their attentions on me.

"Lee. Stay with us." Max said.

"Where am I going?" Steve asked.

Lucas started directing him.

"Lee." Mike said.

My head rolled to the side to look at him and he was looking at me concerned. Soon my eyes closed and everything went quiet.

"Lee!" Someone called.

I opened my eyes to see everyone staring at me.

"Lee." Nancy breathed out.

I sat up. "Is Will okay?"

A hand landed on mine and I turned my head to see an exhausted looking Jonathan.

"He's fine." Joyce said.

My eyes landed on Will himself.

"What happened?" I asked looking around.

"Billy threw you off multiply times when you were trying to protect Steve and us from him." Max explained.

"You hit your head pretty bad." Hopper said.

"Is everyone else okay?" I asked lookin at everyone concerned.

"Yeah. We're all fine." Nancy nodded.

"Does my mom know?" I asked looking up at Hopper.

He nodded. "Yeah."

I then noticed we were in my room. Jonathan grabbed my hand and laced our fingers together.

"Let's give them some time to talk." Nancy suggested while standing up from the chair to my left.

The others spilled out of the room and as soon as the door closed Jonathan sat down beside me on the bed.

"You scared me." He admitted.

I looked down and kept quiet.

"Lee?" Jonathan asked quietly.

"So are you and Nance..." I trailed off.

He sighed. "Lee. Can we just talk about this without including Nancy?"

I looked at him in disbelief and his head dropped.

"Why? Just.... We couldn't talk about it before you did it? I would have understood better." I asked quietly.

"It just happened. The tension built up and I let it take control." He shrugged.

"You let the words of that guy get to you. You trusted him with his words just because of what he saw between you and Nancy. I mean we all saw it. I shouldn't have expected anything else to happen ." I sighed.

"I'm sorry." He muttered.

"Sorry can't fix broken hearts, Jonathan." I stared at him.

"I know. I'm just...." He stopped and took a deep breath. "How can I fix this?"

"You can't." I looked down at my hands.

"What?" He asked.

I kept my eyes down, knowing that If I looked up at him I would break down crying even more than I was. "You cheated Jonathan."

"I know." He repeated. "I know."

My head snapped up to him and his was staring at me, sadness evident.

"So what? You get to cheat on me with my best friend and everything gets to be fixed?" I asked.

He kept quiet and I started laughing.

"What's so funny?" He asked.

"You know what I realized?" I asked tilting my head.

"What?" He questioned.

"Once a wall is broken, it's hard for it to be rebuilt without taking it all down." I nervously bit my lip. "That kind words and apologies don't fix what's broken as much as one would like."

"What does that mean?" He asked.

I looked up at him and took a deep breath. "It means.... goodbye Jonathan."

He hesitated a moment before storming out of the room. I could hear Joyce calling after him.

"Lee?" Mom asked.

I looked up at the doorway to see her and Hopper. Tears started streaming down my face and I felt the bed dip down beside me.

"Shh." Mom said brushing my hair.

"I just want to talk to her." Nancy said.

"No. No one else is seeing her." Hopper ordered.

"Mom." I said quietly, my voice breaking.

"Yes, sweetie?" She asked.

I turned to look at her. "I'm sorry."

She shook her head and continued to brush my hair.