chapter twenty-six

hey todd how are you?
how's texas treating ya?

have you gone to the river walk?
have you performed at a bar like you said you would?

it's been three years and i think catching up is long overdue.

i'm fine, for the most part. i've become a better person. i dropped out of school without telling anyone. see it as self-love. i expanded and narrowed social circles, got into a scary car accident, donated blood, lost my dog, got a fish.

i've learned a lot about myself these past three years.
what about you?
i remember our late night talks about this. do you understand yourself better now? i hope you do.

how's Desiree? do you still keep in touch? are you currently seeing anyone? you should settle down, the clock is ticking.

i think i found someone, and i'm very happy. scared, but happy nonetheless. she's a sweetheart and i'm totally wrecked for her.

i'm going to texas soon, austin to be precise. we should meet up, you owe me a cup of tea. you left before we could go.

it's been a long three years.

but i can finally breathe.

two days ago, i opened my yearbook, read what you wrote in it. i was surprised when i didn't cry. your words no longer hurt me. i've moved on. i don't know exactly at what point, but i'm not complaining. i'm sorry i fell in love with you. don't know exactly when it happened, but i'm happy it's over.

i had forgotten how amazing breathing feels.

i have a psych degree, unclaimed since i didn't request graduation. i have an early childhood education certification. i've worked for LAUSD. i'm working on my degree in general chemistry and moving to teacher school soon. i've never had a minimum wage job. i've travelled, and lived far more than i thought i would— because of you.

the heartbreak fuelled me, pushed me to where i am now. you always said you wanted me to shine, to pursue something that would allow me to shine the brightest. well...

take a look at what you did.