*9* Still Standing

"Love yourself. You are the person you spend every waking minute with".

Dave's Pov

      Jodie Robinson! My God, how could I have missed that?

      "Are you okay?" Rosie asked.

      "Yea, I just remembered something. You can go now, I'll sort the rest out" I gave her a smile as walked out.

      Sickle cell anaemia! She didn't even look it. And why hadn't I given her audience? Cos you though she was one of those girls? My subconscious responded.

      I went through the file over and over again. She's 20? And still a freshman? Probably her sickness. I shook my head as I remembered our encounter. Oh, she was stubborn too. But I was... damn.

     I reopened the file. For student remark she'd written

I'm sick, duh! So before I die I'm gonna try to not only be alive but live too.

     Yea, that's Jodie Robinson. Hmmm. Robinson? I smiled as I remembered meeting her. Really stubborn girl. But she'd needed my help as a doctor and I'd dismissed her.

      I tried not to think about her to no avail as the day went by. I've got to make it up to her. I packed my bags and headed out.

      "Leaving already?" It was Rosie.

      "Yea, I'm done for today"

      "First to come, first to leave" she raised a brow and smiled, look-in away.

      "Haha. Nice one. But my life does not revolve around these walls" I tapped her shoulder and headed out.

       "See you tomorrow" she called out as I left the building.

        I stepped into the car and drove slowly, looking around, hoping I'd notice her on the way but I didn't. Soon I was home. I was visited by the deafening silence as I clicked the keys behind the door. I showered and entered the kitchen to make pancakes. When they were ready I moved to the living room and placed the plate on the seat as I went through the TV stations.

      After several unsuccessful trials of finding what to watch, I put it on Trace and let music flood my ears. Thoughts of the student that has stood up to me filled my head till I heard my phone beep.

      It was a message. A wedding invitation. Folu! How could she be so inhuman? A call came in and I picked angrily, ready to transfer aggression to the caller.

      "Dave?" Speak of the devil! Her voice sent chills down my spine as I was reminded of the betrayal. "I've been trying to reach you for a while."

       I remained quiet, unsure of what to say as she went on.

       "I know I owe you some explanations but I'd really hate to go through this without knowing we're at peace with..."

       "Peace?" She had the nerve! "You talk about peace. Folu, you have no right to even call me."

      "Please don't hang up Dave," her small voice echoed. The woman whom I had given my heart to. The same woman who'd broken it into pieces. "We can talk this through."