Chapter 13: Firsts

Scarlett up above.

If you have read Scarlett's Phoenix, then you would appreciate the irony of chapter 13.

Thank you for reading and enjoy the chapter (:

Ace's Pov:
Despite the 40 degree weather outside and the impending darkness, it suddenly got really hot inside the diner.

I resisted the urge to fan my face as the temperature rose, it felt like a never-ending hot flash. Jason continued to move around the diner even though there were no customers. He occupied himself by cleaning the booths and getting everything ready for the weekend.

I kept glancing at my phone, the time seemed to move at a snails pace. I kept watching him move around the diner, refusing to look at me. Part of me was excited about what would happen when he was forced to lock up and it was really just the two of us. Another part of me was nervous, what would we do? Where would we go? I didn't plan ahead, truly afraid that he would back out after seeing me. Afraid that he texted me on impulse and was now regretting it.

It was finally eleven and after what seemed like hours of waiting, Jason was forced to lock up. "Hey, how about we hang out here?"

I looked around. "Are you sure that's okay? I wouldn't want you to get in trouble."

He waved me off. "Carrie told me a while ago that I could use the diner as long as I cleaned up afterward. We can make some food and just talk."

"Wouldn't people be tempted to see if the diner is still open if they see the lights on?" I stood up and followed him into the kitchen.

"We will hang out back here and turn the lights off in the main eating area. Relax." He chuckled.

"Funny, you're telling me to relax."

He smiled. "Oh, hush. I only know how to make burgers so that's what we are having."

I held my hands up. "Fine by me."

He began to make us food while we sat in silence, I really didn't know what to say. My body refused to start a conversation, fearful that he would take what I said the wrong way, I was determined to let him take us at his pace.

If we decided to go at my pace, naughty things would have already taken place.

We stayed silent as he put two burgers on plates along with a handful of fries. He gestured with his head for me to follow him. We walked out into the break room and turned on the lights.

We sat down across from each other and he sat the plate in front of me. "Thank you."

"No problem. So, why don't you tell me a little about yourself."

I snickered. "What is this? A job interview?"

He grinned and blushed a little. "Sorry, I just kinda want to take this time to get to know you. We haven't really gotten the opportunity to talk."

"Alright." I took a fry and popped it in my mouth. "What would you like to know?"

"How do you know Phoenix?"

I smiled at the thought of my best friend. "We met when we were kids, we went to the same school and our parents were friends. We were practically inseparable. In a way, we still are."

"Why haven't I seen you around? I mean, I have known Scarlett for almost a year now and she has never mentioned you."

I smiled. "Well I have been in the Army for the past five years."