Chapter 16: BitterSweet Reunions

Thank you for reading and enjoy the chapter(:

Jason's Pov:
I woke up in an unfamiliar room, feeling extremely hot. There was sunlight streaming in through the thin curtains covering the windows.

Ace laid behind me, his arm comfortably thrown over my torso. He laid flush against my back, I could feel sweat forming on my forehead from the heat coming from his body and the blankets on top of us.

I didn't want to wake him, he was breathing heavily and snoring softly. I looked over at the clock on the nightstand and saw that it was eight in the morning. It was a great night sleep, I can't remember sleeping that well and for that long without waking up.

I gently lifted his arm from my torso and he stirred. He rolled so that he was facing the other side of the room, leaving me with an empty feeling inside.

I slowly rose from the bed and lifted my arms above my head in a stretch. It felt amazing to be able to sleep in a real bed, the mattress actually felt soft. I walked to the window and looked outside, I was momentarily blinded by the sunlight.

It was too early for that.

"Did you think you were going to be able to get away that easily?" Ace asked with a teasing voice.

I jumped and turned around to see him lying on his back with his hands behind his head. A lazy grin was spread across his face. "N-no, I wasn't trying to get away, I was just going to the bathroom." I gestured towards the door.

"Then why did you try so hard not to wake me up?"

"I didn't want to disturb you."

He chuckled. "You could never disturb me." He rolled over to grab his phone off of the nightstand and I took that as an opportunity to go into the bathroom and shut the door.

I closed my eyes and leaned my head against the door. Why did he have to he so irresistible? Even in a tank top, it left nothing to imagination. He was so ripped due to his time in the army, not to mention the array of tattoos along his left shoulder and arm.

Of course I had crushes, who hasn't? But this was beyond anything I had experienced before.

I walked over to the mirror, I looked a lot better today. I looked refreshed, but on the inside, I was dying. I was so nervous. I felt like I was blind walking through a maze. I didn't know what to expect from my family. But oddly enough, Ace made those feelings a bit more bearable. I knew he wouldn't let then hurt me.

But the idea that he would have to intervene was already enough to make me uneasy.

I did my business and cleaned up before walking back into the room. Ace had his back to me, shirtless in all his glory. I froze, I held my breath to try and contain my gasp.

He was practically naked.

I had the force myself to look away and walk towards my bag to get dressed for the day. "So, did you want to just go straight to the hospital?" He asked.

I nodded but then remembered he probably wasn't looking at me. "Yeah, I'm not that hungry so we can just drive over there. I kinda want to get it over with." I admitted sheepishly.

It felt awful to say that. I did love my mother regardless but I didn't want to see her.

"Try your best to have a positive attitude about this, it may go more smoothly if you aren't holding a grudge." He said quietly. Probably afraid he was going to offend me.

"It's hard to let go of all the anger." I admitted.

"I know, but just for today don't pick a fight and let me handle it. This is about your mother." I felt arms come around me as he hugged me from behind. "I promise I won't let them hurt you."