THIRTEEN

Loki's POV...
A cup of dark brown liquid sits in front of me, wafting its bitter aroma into my nose. Tony, Bruce, and Clint are drinking cup fulls without wincing. They seem to trust me more, apart from Clint, and I have a slight feeling that Natasha is also not as relaxed as she lets on. It has been around a month since Mellona left, and I have settled in nicely with the Avengers. Of course, I am only doing this for Mellona – for the power she possesses. As soon as I find her, we will leave Midgard and go somewhere safe; somewhere Thanos will not find us. And then, I can put my plan into place and harness her power for my own gain.
My thoughts are broken when Thor, Natasha, and Steve enter the room. They take a seat at the table and pass around the foul liquid.

"So, we need a plan." Steve announces as he turns to face me. "Loki, did Mel or this Nebula person say anything before they took off? Anything at all?"
I shake my head and restrain myself from rolling my eyes. "No, it must have slipped my mind to ask Mellona where she was going after she knocked me out."
"Why is he even here? If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't be in this mess. My daughter would still be safe at home." Clint growls, standing up and kicking his chair back. "He should be in a cell!"
Natasha stands up and grabs Clint's shoulders, trying to calm him down.
"I want to help! I care for Mellona, and it is my fault that she has been taken!" I feel my rage bubbling up inside of me. "Before she knocked me out, the two of us were planning to escape. She said that she was glad I taught her how to unlock her true powers. Then she knocked me out."
It is silent for a moment before Clint barks out some nonsense.
"He's lying! Why should we trust him?"
Thor stands up and places one of his great oaf hands on my shoulder.
"Loki speaks the truth. He is fond of your daughter, Clint. Even if he claims it is just her power he is attracted to. We need his help. He has dealt with Thanos before."
"Oh, right, when he tried to take over the world and destroyed New York."
"I sincerely apologise for my actions. I was under the influence of the mind stone." I roll my eyes. "We need to help each other. If you want to find her before Thanos gets all six Infinity Stones, then we need to work together. As a team."
The Avengers gawp at me as they drink the last of their foul-tasting coffee.
"I think you need to up your speeches, Steve." Tony mutters, walking out of the room.

My green eyes chase the tiny raindrops as they race down the window. It is dark outside, but the city is still alive. It is strange to think that the world carries on, oblivious to the dangers around it. No one understands my pain. I constantly blame myself for being foolish enough to put her in Thanos' way. My plan was to use her for my own purposes, she was never supposed to slip from my grasp, and I was never supposed to grow fond of her. The door opens quietly, and I hear the heavy footsteps of my brother as he stands next to me, overlooking the city.

"You are hurting, brother. I can see it in your eyes. Where there was once jealousy and malice, there is now love and pain." He lightly touches my shoulder. "You cannot blame yourself, Loki. She chose to go to Thanos."
"But it was I who dangled her within his reach."
"He would have found a way to get her without you." Thor's voice is soft like he is talking to a fragile child. "No one blames you-"
"Clint does." I spit. "He despises me for my actions, as he should."
"Then prove him wrong. Show him that you can work with us and that you want to amend what you have done."

My brother smiles broadly at me and wraps me in his arms. I stiffen at the contact, but memories of our childhood seep into my mind, and I welcome the gesture. Maybe I can change. Perhaps I can be forgiven.