TWENTY SIX

Everyone remains silent as we head towards Earth. Erik and Klaue head to the cockpit, murmuring to each other, while Bucky and I remain standing in silence. I stare down at my hands as the black swirls in my veins.

"What did we just do?" Bucky questions, his face is deathly pale.
I pull a confused face at him.
"We blew up a planet. You were right next to me when it happened."
He scoffs. "No, I mean, we were supposed to keep a low profile. This will reach the Avengers pretty fast. Then they will know what we are up to."
I shrug nonchalantly. "They are ten steps behind us. We will have all of the Infinity Stones before they have even left Earth to find us."
"Something just doesn't seem right. We blew up Xandar! The capital of the Nova Empire, and nothing – from anyone."
I step closer to Bucky, and I place one of my hands on his chest.
"Bucky, please, everything is fine." I smile softly, looking into his icy blue eyes. "All we need to do now is head to Earth and find the Time Stone."
"You make it sound so easy." He grins.

I shrug, stepping back and heading into the sleeping quarters. I plonk myself on my bed and pat the sheets for Bucky to sit down. We sit together for a few minutes in a comfortable silence, just enjoying the peace and each other's company. I rest my head on his shoulder and sigh.

"When did things become so complicated?" I whisper.
He looks down at me with a slight smile on his handsome face.
"I really don't know, but at least we like each other."
I chuckle. "Suffering together is much better than suffering alone."

His chest moves slightly as he laughs, and I intake his intoxicating scent. His blue eyes have flecks of gold in them that normally no one would notice unless they were this close to him. It is like my secret. Only I know of the gold in his eyes. Bucky smiles down at me and gently cups my face with his warm hand. He brings our faces closer together and locks his lips with mine. We kiss, losing ourselves in the moment, and when he pulls away, he is the only thing I can think about. Nothing else clouds my mind, not the mission, not Thanos, not the Infinity Stones, just Bucky Barnes.

A large hand grips my shoulder and softly shakes me awake. The world is blurry for a few seconds before my eyes can adjust, and I see Bucky standing above me.

"What's going on?" I question, sitting up on the bed.
"You fell asleep. It's a good job you were leaning on my metal arm; that one can't fall asleep." Bucky grins. "You haven't slept properly for days, so I let you rest."
I furrow my brows in confusion. "I guess everything else seems so much more important." I notice that the ship isn't moving. "Where are we?"
Bucky stands up, holding his hand out to me.
"Earth."
I take his hand and jump out of bed.
"Let's go."

After quickly freshening up, I head out into the ship's central area, where Bucky, Erik, and Klaue are waiting patiently.

"Finally, sleeping beauty emerges." Erik smirks.
I roll my eyes, softly grinning.
"You boys ready?" I ask, standing in front of them. "We are nearing the end."

The three of us head into the heart of New York. None of us say anything. No words need to be spoken. We know what we are here for, and no one can stop us. We arrive at our destination in minutes, and I look up at the towering building.

"One-seven-seven A Bleeker Street." I pause before the stone steps. "I can feel the power of the Time Stone."
"Let's not waste any more time." Erik murmurs.
Bucky turns to me. "We need to be careful and vigilant. We have no idea what this guy is capable of."
I bite my lip. "I guess there is no time like the present."

I make my way up the stone stairs and raise my fist to knock on the black door. It opens automatically, and we step into the building. A man wearing a blue tunic and a red cape stands at the top of a grand staircase.

"My name is Doctor Strange. How may I assist you?"
I smile kindly. "We only require one small thing from you, Doctor Strange."
He raises an eyebrow. "And what is that?"
"That Infinity Stone around your neck."
He glances down at the necklace.
"I'm afraid that is not possible. I am the guardian of the Time Stone. I am sworn to protect it with my life.
"Then your death will be heroic."