Chapter 17

My feet dragged the floor as I made my way back to the dorm after a long stressful day. Logan was only in one of my other classes and lucky for me Evan was also in there.

As I walked in I could tell something was wrong. Harper was laying on her bed, a pillow to her face and her shoulders where shaking slightly.

My stuff hit the floor with a small thud as I hurried over to see what was wrong.

The bed speaked from the additional weight as I sat beside her. My arm snaked around her shoulder for comfort. I wanted to know what had happened but I didn't want to pressure her, or make her more upset.

Against my touch her face shot up. It was damp and a little red, you could tell her eyes where beginning to swell from crying.

"Oh, Charity," she quaked laying her head on my shoulder,"My mom is sick. Lucas texted me awhile ago and that they aren't sure what's wrong, and keeping her in the hospital." Her words were bearly audible.

She took a deep breath pushing tears away and continued. "I want to be with them, it's going to be a rough couple of months if she can't work. She has been strong for so long....,"she broke off not wanting to continue.

I turned to see her face,"Harp don't assume the worse, let's wait until we know more. I'm sure everything will be okay."

Harper nodded and wiped away the tears on her face,"Thank you Charity."

"There is no reason to thank me,"I assured,"What are friends for."

"How was your first day?" I asked changing the subject.

With that Harper turned back into her perky self telling every little detail. Especially dragging out the part where a really cute guy sits beside her in two of her classes.

AN: Sorry short chapter. The next ones will be longer and more interesting. Please let me know what you think of the book so far.