Chapter 7: Memories (OLD)

Saturday, September 28th, 2080 at Base: Gibraltar; 4:00 PM.

After a long day of a huge amount of training, I've never felt so happy to finally get off work. This day was torture. Either it actually was torture, it was the heat, or I was out of shape.

After I showered, I slapped on some clothes then left the locker room to finally head home. I was really anticipating what was going to happen tonight.

While I was walking to the gates, everyone started to look at me with... sad expressions I guess? I don't know, everyone was acting weird around me.

People would say hi, but they would always sound like something bad happened, like how the Dodgers lost the 2017 World Series all those years ago. I just simply tried to ignore it. I was too tired and sluggish from today to even acknowledge it.

I finally arrived at the main gate. Before I could exit, I was stopped by someone who put a hand on my shoulder. The hand was rather large, so I automatically knew it was Winston. I turned around to look at him.

"Hey big guy, what's going on?"

It was Winston. However, I studied his expression to realize that he had an odd, empathetic look of sadness towards me.

I tilted my head to the side in confusion. "Is something wrong?"

He sighed and adjusted his glasses. "You have a mission tomorrow at 11:00 AM."

I snickered. "Wow. That's it?"

"(Y/N), listen. The mission is at (home city). People that somehow survived that raid years ago have been spotted to be alive and still living there and they need to be evacuated to a safety point. We're sending you with team B."

I stared at him in shock. A feeling of sadness and a little bit of anger overcame me.

I have to go back to (Home City)? I haven't even thought or heard of my old home in about 2 or 3 years! I almost forgot it existed! I mean, I did talk to Amélie about it, but I never thought that I'd ever have to go back! I don't want to go back. Not at all. Not after the raid that took place there all those years ago...

"Winston, I can't do this mission. I'm sorry."

He put a hand on my shoulder. "I'm sorry but you need to go. Those people, your people, need your help."

I looked at him with despair filling my heart and mind. "Winston, please. I don't want to go."

He sighed deeply. "I truly am sorry (Y/N), but this is the only mission that's available right now that you can get your hours in. Listen, you'll meet up with everyone in the hangar tomorrow at 11:00 in the morning. Look, after this mission, I'll give you vacation for a week, okay?"

I scoffed then turned around and walked off to my car, ignoring him. I didn't want to hear it anymore. I'm just gonna get this stupid mission over with tomorrow.

I heard him in the distance, sounding worried for me. "(Y/N)?"

I still ignored him. I entered my car and slammed the door shut. I turned on the car and sped out of the base, driving off to my home in no less than 5 minutes.

After I arrived home and parked the Lambo in the driveway, I shut my car door closed and entered my house. Kikko ran up to me and started jumping all over me. I was too tired and distressed to even acknowledge Kikko. I didn't want to talk to anyone.

I gently pulled him off of me and walked to my room. Before I entered, he started jumping on me again. I still didn't want to play with him right now. I just wanted to be alone.