the trip

Maya's POV

Everyone is talking noisily around me on the bus but I can't concentrate on a single bit of conversation. I look at my lap only to see my hands slightly shaking.

I take a deep breath to collect my thoughts and hope Riley can't tell how much of a mess I am. Apparently she can since she lifts her head up from my shoulder and turns to me with a concerned look.

"Are you alright peaches?" she asks and takes out one of her earbuds.

I force a smile and mutter a "yeah I'm fine."

She puts her hand on my thigh trying to comfort me which only makes my heartbeat race faster.

"Alright if you're sure. I'm here if you need anything."

I've known her since we were little kids so I can tell by her small frown that she's not convinced. Despite that, I breathe out a sigh of relief when she goes back to looking at her Instagram feed and puts her hand back in her own lap.

Just as I'm beginning to recover I jump at the sudden vibration of my phone in my pocket. It's a text from Farkle. I smirk at the ridiculous contact name I set for him before reading the message.

MinkusSpawn: Maya what's up with you today?

MayaHart: What are you on about now

MinkusSpawn: Don't try that with me. I'm not blind. Do you think your glare from earlier was forgotten? Usually if I crack a joke like that you just roll your eyes or scoff at me

MayaHart: Well maybe I wanted to mix it up a little. Ever think of that genius?

MinkusSpawn: You do know that I'm directly behind you right?

I shift in my seat to see him through the gap. He gives me a brief wave and looks back at his phone.

MayaHart: And what does that have to do with this conversation?

MinkusSpawn: I can tell how anxious you've been with Riley. I saw how tense you became when she put her head on your shoulder and again with her hand on your leg. Normally you two seem almost too comfortable with each other.

MayaHart: I don't want to talk about it. I'm trying to figure some things out

MinkusSpawn: That's something a person would say if there were feelings involved

MayaHart: Oh are you some expert on feelings now Farkle? I just don't know anymore. I'm rethinking everything and I can't give you a definite answer to whatever it is you're asking. I can't tell you what's happening if I don't know even know it myself.

MinkusSpawn: It's okay to feel lost Maya. I can't say I'm surprised, just know that I'm always here for you if you want to talk. I'll support you through whatever happens and for the record, I've shipped you two for years

I choose to ignore the last part but I know he's sincere.

I turn around and whisper "I don't really know what's going on but thank you Farkle it's good to have your support."

He grins and gives me a thumbs up.

"Hey do any of you happen to have a charger? Mine is in my suitcase and I'm on five percent" Lucas shouts in our direction over the noise of the bus.

"I've got one hang on" I hear Riley tell him as she digs around in her bag to find it.

Once she has it she glances to see if any teachers are watching before standing up in her seat. She leans over to hand it across the aisle and I catch Lucas's eyes look her over slowly before taking the charger. I have to turn away at this point, leaning my head against the windowpane and gritting my teeth. I know I shouldn't be so angry about him doing so, every boy does it, but I still am.