unexpected reunions

Riley's POV

We've only been in the store for twenty minutes and yet as I look up from the magazine I was skimming I've lost sight of both Farkle and Smackle.

I put it down and start walking knowing that I should really go help with the shopping. Just as I'm wondering where Lucas is, the only person working towards the objective, I hear his text tone from my pocket.

MrPerfect: where are you?

RileyMatthews: walking out of the candy aisle

MrPerfect: how predictable. I'm with Farkle and Smackle we're nearby

RileyMatthews: did you get everything on the shopping list?

MrPerfect: yes because no one else would. Well Farkle helped a little. Have you seen Maya and/or Zay?

RileyMatthews: I see them. Aisle seven, just follow the sounds of pointless arguing

Lucas, Farkle, and Smackle meet me there, Lucas sighs before nodding towards the shopping basket for me to put my opened box of cheese and crackers into it. I comply sheepishly and push past him to pull Zay away from Maya.

The spatula Zay is gesturing with for whatever reason has caught the attention of a middle aged woman passing by who's probably wondering why there are two teenagers arguing with kitchen utensils. To be fair, so are the rest of us. Smackle smiles at her respectfully but Maya grabbing a second wooden spoon isn't helping our case.

"I don't have a clue what you guys are doing but Zay we need you in order to check out" Farkle says, grabbing the spatula from him.

"Oh so no one needs me? I see how it is" Maya rolls her eyes and turns to face the other direction.

"You know I need you" I say.

"Babe I was joking" she grins.

I take the wooden spoons from her and put them back in their display next to us.

"I know but I want you to know your own worth peaches, to know that I need you and you mean a lot to me" I reply sincerely.

Her playful smile slowly changes to an appreciative and shy one and she kisses my cheek tenderly.

I don't know why I decide to take a risk and kiss her for a split second but I do know that it's going to do more harm than good when I pull away and see Farkle's expression.

He's glaring, not at us but rather someone, or something behind us.

"Well isn't this interesting"

Definitely someone. And a voice that I was hoping I'd never have to listen to again.

"What do you want Missy?" Zay sighs.

"I only came over to say hello but it seems as though I've stumbled upon some unexpected intel" she says slyly.

I see Lucas cross his arms and move closer to us protectively.

"You have no right to talk to us, you don't know any of us anymore and I'd rather not catch up" Maya says, her hands clenched into fists.

"You don't even go to the same school as us what's your issue?" Smackle says tiredly. Even Smackle knows drama and Missy are a package deal.

"Last time I checked I can do whatever I want. This is, in fact, a public grocery store if you haven't noticed. Where I go to school doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things now does it?" she stares Maya down who shoots her a spiteful glare right back.