party plans

Riley's POV

"Hey losers I'm in your apartment" Maya's familiar voice rings out from the doorway.

"Is there any specific reason you're here and not at home?" I ask as I look over from the couch.

"Shhh Riley I want to watch my show" Auggie complains next to me. I ruffle the top of his hair and leave him on the couch with my dad. I close the front door and lean against it, facing Maya.

"Actually yes for once. Zay told me about a party he thinks we should go to tonight" she says excitedly.

"I'm not really a party person you know this" I begin telling her as I usually do.

"Not this excuse again! Come on it's probably one of the last huge ones of the year" she whines.

I roll my eyes but she pouts her lip and looks at me pleadingly and I give in with a sigh.

"Damn you Maya" I say which earns a small smirk from her. She knows full well how easily I'll give in.

"Language" my mother warns from the table.

"Alright mom I know. Can I please go to the party with Maya though?" I ask.

"That depends. Who's throwing it?" she asks and I turn to Maya.

"Some guy named Eli I think. I just know he's got a huge house" she replies.

"You're not exactly helping your case"   Topanga says.

"Isn't that Charlie's Gardner's older brother?" I ask.

"I wouldn't know I've only seen him a few times in the halls" Maya shrugs.

"He's going to be a senior right?" Topanga looks to Maya who nods to confirm.

"I think he actually is Charlie's brother. Well at least it's not someone completely random" she sits back thinking.

"Please Mrs. Matthews you know we'll take care of each other there" Maya continues trying to convince her.

"Fine but Maya you better get her back before one, and no underage drinking"

"Yes I know the basic don'ts of high school parties no drugs and everything. Neither of us would do it anyway. I promise we'll be back before one" she waves it off.

"Keep her out of trouble Maya" my father says.

"Oh please like I'm the one likely to get in any trouble" I scoff.

"I can hear you" Maya replies next to me.

I nudge her in the arm and we both thank my parents for letting us go on such short notice. My parents have actually gotten used to her last minute plan suggestions as we get further into high school. Some of us like Smackle haven't been as lucky. I'm pretty sure her parents won't let her go sadly.

"So what's this party going to be like? I haven't exactly got an outfit" I say as I go into my room and head to search my closet.

"It's supposedly casual but I'll help you" she says and I let her go through my clothes as I settle on straightening my hair.

When I finish and turn the flat iron off I see Maya has a smug grin on her face and both eyebrows raised.

"What?" I say, confused.

"Oh nothing"

"Well now you've got to tell me" I say.

"I was just thinking of that Tumblr post you showed me on the field trip" she says and examines her nails to act indifferent.

I sigh and ask "Are you just going to have an endless supply of jokes now that I came out to you?"

"Yes, yes I am" she giggles.

"Yeah I totally can't wait for those but what outfit did you pick out since we better leave if we want to get there by ten" I say trying not to laugh at her referencing that post.

"I've got this" Maya says as she holds up a white crop top and a light pink skirt.

"How you manage to create such nice outfits out of the mess in my closet is astonishing" I tell her gratefully as I take them and leave to change in the bathroom.

If the party is going to be casual I guess I could wear my white converse with this. I go back to my room to find them and walk in just as Maya finishes pulling a black tank top over her head. She turns around and sees me and nods approvingly.

"You look cute. What shoes are you gonna go with?"

"I was thinking white converse since you said it's not going to be all that fancy" I say.

"Sounds good, it'll go with the pink nicely"

"What about you? What are you wearing?" I ask as I sit down on my bed to untie the laces.

"I'm going to end up being even more casual than you are since I only threw a few things in my bag before heading over here" she says.

I watch her pull a red flannel out of her backpack and put it on over her tank top. She runs her hand through her hair slowly and goes back to look in her bag.

Her full outfit consists of regular converse, skinny jeans, and a tank top with the flannel. I just sit and stare at her and how incredibly good she looks. Maybe it's just the side of me that likes girls but I've never someone effortlessly look that hot in a flannel.

"Well don't just sit there Riles we've gotta get going" she says.

I probably look ridiculous staring at her and only snap out it when she raises her eyebrows and gestures to the door.

"Sorry yeah let's go" I say, putting on my shoes hurriedly.

"Bye mom! Bye dad!" I yell over my shoulder as we make our way to the door.

"Have fun girls, stay safe" my dad says as he stands up from the couch and stretches.

"Riley it's late stop yelling Auggie needs to sleep!" my mom whispers harshly from the doorway to the hall.

"Tell him I say goodnight" I say quietly and Maya and I head out.

She gets a cab and we're off to the party. I hope no drama goes down tonight, that's the reason I don't do parties.

———

a/n: okay so this chapter is pretty boring sorry like it's more of a filler one because in the next update a ton is happening at the party. So please read that one when it's posted soon lmao, I just am really happy with how that one turned out