lasting memories

Maya's POV

I grab the remote and start aimlessly searching through channels on the tv. I see Riley approach the bed out of the corner of my eye.

She lays down so her head is next to my hip and casually asks "So what are we watching?"

I glance down at her from my sitting position. If she's not going to say anything about what just happened neither am I.

"Whatever you want to" I say handing her the remote with as convincing of a smile as I can manage.

She stops on a movie that I don't recognize but one she apparently does. I really couldn't tell you what it was about. It just seemed like every other movie about a bunch of teenagers living their dramatic lives.

After a while she shifts her head so that it's in my lap and I curse myself silently for my heart fluttering. I pretend that I'm not losing my mind and settle on running my fingertips through her hair, untangling the ends of it. We stay like this for what could've been a few minutes or a full hour, and if I could have it my way it would've been forever. I don't care enough to check the time because the last thing I want is for the moment to end.

"Maybe you wouldn't be in this situation if you had actually been listening and not whining about your loser boyfriend constantly" Riley scoffs from my lap with a long roll of her eyes.

She's gotten a bit more sarcastic and witty lately and I have tumblr to thank for the newfound entertainment. All my complaining about her not having an account definitely payed off last summer.

I smile softly down at her. Man is she beautiful. I know I should watch the movie but I honestly couldn't care less. She looks up and notices me staring. Her brown eyes meet my own with a questioning look.

"What?" she asks, raising her eyebrows.

I'm don't say anything, I only look at her.

"Cmon Maya you've gotta tell me" she whines.

I shake my head quickly and say "Nothing. Only that your commentary is really adorable...just like you"

I surprise both of us with that statement. Oh god is it too flirty? Did I make her uncomfortable? All of my fear is quieted when the only thing she does is bite her lip slightly and sit up next to me.

"Not as adorable as you" she mumbles shyly, looking away.

Neither of us seem to know what to say next and silence ensues. I search for something to say but she leans over and kisses my cheek leaving me at a loss again. She has no idea how much I wish it wasn't just on the cheek. My skin actually feels like a forest fire where her lips came into contact with it. It's like I'm getting gayer by the second. Why do feelings have to exist and why do they have to rush in like this.

"I'm bored let's just listen to music"

She hops off my bed to get her phone off her own. At least it's not quiet anymore. I take a deep breath and tell myself to keep it together.

"Fine but if you play Toxic again you're dead to me Matthews"

"It's iconic. You wouldn't know miss 'all I listen to is Mr. Brightside on repeat'" she taunts.

"No Britney. End of discussion"

I don't have anything against Britney Spears but Riley has played that song to death. She pouts but seems to get the message. I turn to see my phone go off signaling a text from Farkle.

MinkusSpawn: So how's Riley ;)

MinkusSpawn: Sorry that was Zay. But I mean it's true, how is everything going with Riley?

I roll my eyes but type a reply back anyways.

MayaHart: Everything is fine, now shut up and go to bed it's almost 11

Riley and I aren't even remotely tired enough to go to bed but I wasn't about to tell him that. She puts on a playlist and we listen to a few songs while scrolling around online. That is, until get a notification with a text from her.

"I'm literally less than ten feet away" I say aloud.

"Just look at it" she shrugs.

I open it and see that it just tells me to check my dms from her. "I can't believe you" I say and go to open them, seeing a satisfied grin on her face. It's a tumblr textpost someone reblogged.

'Straighteners aren't worth your money, I've been using one for a year and I'm definitely still gay'

I laugh at it since it's unusual she'd send me this kind of thing. It's more likely I'd see it on my dashboard.

"Where'd you find this? It's actually really funny"

"It was just on some aesthetics blog" she says quickly.

Is she trying to tell me something by showing me this? I open my mouth to question it but decide not to. Don't over analyze Maya. Soon enough we're just sending each other posts until I hear Taylor Swift's voice start to play and groan.

"Yes!" Riley yells and jumps off her bed.

I'm not all that into Taylor's music although I respect it. Riley on the other hand loves all her songs and will force me to listen to them, especially the older albums. She grabs her hairbrush and begins dancing around the room singing along to every single word. I sigh but lay forward resting my chin in my hands and listen anyways.

"I'm on my guard for the rest of the world but with you I know its no good and I could wait patiently but I really wish you would drop everything now, meet me in the pouring rain, kiss me on the sidewalk take away the pain 'cause I see sparks fly whenever you smile"

I smile softly not able to tear my eyes away from the girl twirling around the room in front of me. Who knew I could truly like a Taylor Swift song. I can't help but wonder who's on Riley's mind while she's singing all of this. I start to process that it's probably Lucas but then she locks eyes with me. She's smiling, singing the chorus still continuing her little performance. I grin and hide my face in my hands shyly. I'd rather she doesn't see how quickly I'm falling in love with her.

———

a/n: alright so this chapter is kinda short compared to what I normally would write. Also we will get to see Riley's point of view I just tend to write more in Maya's whoops. I'm not going to take as long to post chapter 5 but for now here's a bit of cute fluff