Birth of a Heir

I had conjured two maids to help me and five guards to keep the boys out. It was easier now that we were far from the scorching heat of the Southern Isles. Elsai was worried sick and had nearly frozen the captin's cabin. Hans had a look of fear and remembrance, no doubt thinking about his mother. I don't remember much about giving birth. Only the cold touch of the maids, a lot of screaming, and a lot of pain. Thanks to the ship's doctor, I'd been given some medicine to dull my senses, but that was all of the help he was able to give me. As a doctor on a ship full of men, he had no experience with birth.
I remembered a lot of crying. My tears were freezing again, much to my relief. I was crying so much that the ice had begun to build up and frost lightly coated my cheeks. I remembered Elsai trying to get in and yelling at my guards in frustration when they wouldn't let him. I'd been changed since I went into labor and was wearing a simple white shift.

I'd lost all track of time because the pain seemed to go on forever. Compared to this, everything I'd gone through as a prisoner seemed like a mosquito bite. Annoying, but not severe. This was Hell.
I remembered passing out when it was over from exhaustion. I remembered Elsai being by my side with a crestfallen look that I'd never seen on him before. Not even when he'd thought Anna and I had been killed.
"Elsai..."
"Ingrid..."He lifted one of my hands in his and kissed my palm, yet the pained look remained, "I'm so sorry...We lost one..."
"One?"
"It was twins..." He tried to smile for my sake, but it didn't reach his eyes.
I choked back a sob of pain. I'd lost one of my babies...Before I even knew them. My tears flowed and froze, running together and forming streaks of ice on my face as my body shook in sorrow. Elsai climbed into bed with me and rocked me gently back and forth, but I was inconsolable.
"What was the gender?" I managed to get out between sobs.
"A boy. He was born first but died right after."
"A...And the other?"
"A girl. She's okay. You should see her, Ingrid. She's so tiny."
I nodded and Elsai carefully got up, leaving to go get her. I imagined they would have grown up closer even than Elsai and Anna were now. He would have looked out for his little sister no matter what and she would always have known she could look up to him. But that would never be...
I thought back to my last beating. Aaron...this was all his fault! He was the one who stole my son from me! A hateful rage took over my heart and mind. I would make him pay for everything he'd done. I wouldn't show him any mercy. I was still seething when Elsai came back, a little pink bundle in his arms.
He brought her over to m and sat down, placing her gently in my arms. He'd been right. She was tiny. She'd been cleaned, clothed , and swaddled and now she was in my arms. My baby girl. Seeing her there made all thoughts of Aaron disappear from my mind. She had temporarily distracted me from her brother's death.
I breathed in awe, "Hi baby..." I smiled weakly, "Oh...Elsai.... She's beautiful..."
And she was. Her skin was still pink, but I could tell she was going to be very pale. She had soft wisps of silvery hair on her head and long lashes, that undoubtedly would frame beautiful eyes. I couldn't wait to see them,, though they'd likely be blue. She was the imbodiment of our love and I already loved her endlessly. Elsai, I could tell, was already wrapped around her little finger. Our little princess.Though she had driven Aaron from my mind, grief and a desire for revenge where already branded on my heart.
"So what should we name her?" Elsai asked, looking down at our little girl.
"Hmm..." I hummed in thought. "I like...."