//five

•••

Unlike most of the girls in her class, Rosemary adored physical education, for a number of reasons. The most relevant being she was extremely proud of her body.

She learned very early that the world would always favor beauty over disfigurement, regardless of the beings beneath the skin. Which was why every evening she'd run or swim. Every second day she'd do weighted exercises or strengthen her stomach.

After walking into PE in her gym clothes and pair of borrowed sneakers, no one seemed to notice the excellent state of her body. Rosemary had shed any baby fat that may have collected around her legs or arms, instead being replaced with lean, smooth muscle. That was all she revealed of her dedication to exercise though, because rather then wear the slim, flattering size Abigail had suggested, she wore a large shirt which very nearly sagged off her shoulders. Tucked into the waistband of her fitted shorts, she sat patiently beside the dozen other girls as the gym teacher talked about their final assignments which she would be doing as her wrap up for the year.

As to be expected, very few of the boys actually paid attention to the teacher.

The teacher, Mr.Alexander stood proud and tall before them, a dull, used whistle hanging around his neck, "Students will be required to submit; an individual topic report and a partnered research assignment"

Abigail, whom had been sitting beside Rosemary, scooted closer, her hair brushing Rosemary's cheeks. "Don't look now Rose, but Criss is checking you out" Several other girls whom had been sitting either near or beside them giggled quietly. Sitting cross-legged, Rosemary tilted her head in an almost lazy manner to glance at the boy she was referring to.

The Bowers Gang had been deliberately split that year. Henry, Patrick and Victor all having been placed in separate homerooms at the request of the teachers. The trio caused to much chaos when together. The school considered it a blessing when Reginald Huggins had dropped out the year prior, but they soon came to realise that he could still cause trouble, only now he didn't have to follow the rules.

Unfortunately, the teachers couldn't stop the school system from pairing them in the occasional core subject, physical education being one of them. Victor Criss, like most of the hormonal teenage boys in the class, was taking notice of the girls opposite him, the 'new girl' included. For the briefest of moments, Rosemary and Victor held eye contact, the former offering a polite smile before focusing back on the teacher. Patrick had taken to staring at the muscle between her neck and shoulder, where the edge of her bra strap could be seen peeking out near the collar of her shirt. Again, he could feel his stomach curling and began to drag his thumb down the ribbon he'd collected from the classroom, it's soft yet textured touch doing nothing to lessen the urges pulsing through his abdomen. Rosemary didn't look at him once.

The hour was spent in intense boredom, with Rosemary sitting patiently and with unmatched attention towards the teacher. When the school bell rang, she was the first to jump upwards and walk to the change rooms, thoroughly annoyed that she'd apparently changed out of her dress for nothing. After entering the change rooms, the girls flood in after, all of them expressing exactly how she felt in words.

"So pointless! All that lesson did was give the boys a little something to gawk at" One girl puffed in frustration.

"Yeah no kidding! We don't even need to shower because we did no running!"

Abigail flounced into the room, stopping next to Rosemary, whom had just stripped off her shirt. "Hey! Today wasn't a total waste!" She wrapped an arm around Rosemary who clutched her shirt to her chest in embarrassment. "We found out Victor may feel a little somethin-somethin for our dear little Rose"

"He looked at me for a few seconds Abigail, I don't think that qualifies as feeling something"

"Yeah, but-" Abigail glanced downwards, her eyes widening in shock, "-DAMN Rose! What the fuck have you been up to?!" Abigail had only just noticed the muscled area of her stomach and she ushered another girl over as she prodded her stomach. "You have abs!"

Quickly pulling her dress from the cubby given to her, she wriggled it back on turned away from the pair as she grabbed her shoes "I don't like showing my body that much..."

Quickly realising how intrusive they where being, Abigail swatted the other girl away. "Sorry Rose, I didn't even think about that I was just kind of...shocked"

"It's fine" Slipping off her sneakers, she handed them to Abigail, "Thank you for letting me borrow these, I'll wash the socks and give them to you tomorrow" Barefoot, she grabbed her bag and sock stuffed shoes as she hurried out of the change rooms.

Exiting the curved area that led inside, it was in the single moment that she glanced back into the change rooms that she found herself colliding head first with Peter Gordon. Having been in a hurry to leave, he quickly caught her before she could fall, his hands on her waist. "Woah!" He grinned, "Slow down sweetheart"

Pulling herself away, she brushed her dress down and stared up at Peter. "I'm sorry for walking into you, I wasn't watching were I was going" Two boys she assumed to be his friends appeared from behind him, one draping his arm over Peter as they leered down at her.

"Who's this cutie?" Peter elbowed the one to the left slightly.

"Cool it Moose, this is the new chic" He turned back to Rosemary, "You're the ones that just moved into West Broadway right? In the old crack house" Rosemary snickered slightly, remembering how her brother had reacted when they found several needles and a bong upstairs. Her reaction pleased the boy opposite her to a degree, because he shoved his hands into the pockets of his jacket and slouched in an attempt to make himself look cooler. "Or one of them, we have another crack house on Neibolt Street but that one is exclusive, V.I.P only" Before Rosemary could respond, she was pulled back quite suddenly by a pair of slim petite hands.

"Do yourself a favour Gordon and fuck off" Rosemary cringed away at Abigail's language, pulling her shoulders away slightly.

"Abby, always a pleasure" Sarcasm dripped from Peter's mouth as he smiled at Abigail, unamused. "How've you been?"

"Pretty shit since your bitch of a girlfriend burnt my textbooks"

Peter's fists clenched slightly and it was then Rosemary noticed that Moose and the other boy had backed away slightly.

"Uh..." The pair both looked at Rosemary. "I'm going to go to my next class"

And without another word, she darted away from them, her feet making a soft patter as she ran across the gym. She grinned as she left the court, because Abigail's behaviour had proven exactly what she wanted. She'd swooped in to protect her from the apparent social defect of Peter and his group. She was considered vulnerable, in need of protection.

Exactly as she wanted it.

•••