//nineteen

•••

Peter Gordon broke up with Marcia Fadden on the 24th of May, just two days before they where supposed to attend Henry Bowers' bonfire party together. Having been together since their middle school days, everyone was shocked to say the least. Especially Marcia.

"So why'd you call it quits?" Rosemary overheard Moose ask in Mathematics the following Friday, a single day after the pair had split. Even Peter's friends couldn't understand the cause of their split, which Peter concealed as Marcia wanting some 'time to better herself'.

He wouldn't admit Rosemary had a whole lot more to do with it then he let on. But Rosemary was much more perceptive then he gave her credit for. She hadn't missed the subtle glares or snide remarks Marcia would snitch at her as she walked past, but Peter had remained polite to her during their entire period of knowing one another. Apparently a little too polite by Narcia's standards, as Rosemary had witnessed Marcia yelling at him outside the movie house not 24 hours before he broke up with her.

Stepping out of the theatre the evening prior, Rosemary's face had soured as she saw the rain which curtained the street before her, the dramatic echo of the downpour ringing in the foyer of the cinema. Having finished her own portion of the Social Studies assignment, she rewarded herself with another trip to the movies where she stared at Johnny Depp for nearly two hours.

Staring at the sky she considered her options, all of which involved her either waiting in intense boredom for her brother to hopefully arrive, or she'd be drenched to the bone is seconds. Rosemary scolded herself for not having planned a ride home.

"You been abandoned out here?" Peter asked, appearing beside her as he clicked his tongue cheekily. Startled, Rosemary instinctively moved away from him before realising it was him.
"Don't tell me you're walking home through that?" His appearance very much reminded her of Wade Walker. Despite the obvious chill to the air, he hung his leather jacket over his shoulder, allowing her to see his slim arms which where left bare by his white muscle t-shirt and he was slightly slouched in a relaxed, cocky manner.

"I don't know, my brother might be coming to pick me up?" She chuckled nervously, fiddling with her cross. "Hopefully" Peter chuckled quietly before taking another step forward and planting himself on the steps of the foyer, looking out the glass doors to stare at the rain.

"What movie'd you go see?"

"Crybaby. The one with Johnny Depp and Amy Locane" Slowly, Rosemary sat down a metre or so away from him, staring outside.

"Any good?"

"Pretty funny" She smiled playfully, "Johnny Depp's not too bad to look at either. What did you go see?" Yet again, it was a moment of normality that Rosemary found herself enjoying for a moment before she recognized the idiocy of their conversation. She didn't actually care what Peter was doing or what movie he'd gone to seen, but for the sake of polite conversation she giggled and smiled, stroking his ego in all the right ways.

Rosemary stared at Peter thoughtfully as he described his friends. "Moose is a bit of a loose cannon sometimes, but he's nothing compared to Henry" That caught her attention.

"Henry? As in Henry Bowers or a Henry I am not aware of?"

At this Peter snickered. "Nah, Henry Bowers. The dude's fucking nuts"

"Are you friends?" He went quiet and Rosemary almost rolled her eyes. How typical of a male to run at the mention of affection towards another male.

"We used to hang out a lot more, but not so much anymore" His voice dipped slightly at the end. "Henry is...loose. But not in the way Moose is" He quickly corrected himself, turning to face her entirely. The rain still thundered against the roof. "Henry just doesn't have much of a stop button? I don't know..." Peter lent forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "I think all the anger leaking off his dad just seeped straight into 'im and he's just throwing it out, left, right and center"