thirty-four//

•••

Unbeknownst to Rosemary as she sat in the front seat of Robby's car, Jude and Robby shared an apartment adjacent to Derry's only resident African-American family, a fact she didn't know until they'd parked outside their apartment complex. Stepping out of the car onto the street spotted with trash, Rosemary glanced across the street and watched as another car pulled into the opposite driveway.

Her eyes widened slightly when a black boy stepped from the car behind whom she presumed to be his parents. "Come on Rose" Robby ushered her toward the building and she obediently followed him. The street was small, being there was barely enough room for two cars to drive beside each other when the street was empty and Rosemary could pick up the trail ends of the conversation between the parents and their son. "What are you looking at?" Robby asked irritably as he stopped at the door of the building.

"I just didn't know we had people of colour in Derry" Robby gave a slight scoff of irritation, throwing the family a somewhat disgusted look before he unlocked the door. "It's a nice change" As though sensing her eyes, Mike Hanlon glanced across the street and for a few moments in which Rosemary offered a light smile and a small wave, they held eye contact.

"Come on" Rosemary stepped inside the apartment building and was instantly attacked by the smell of incense burning nearby, "The elevator's not working"

Leading her up several flights of stairs, Robby had barely opened the door to their apartment when someone stumbled, or more accurately fell out of the apartment.

"Robby!" Jumping behind Robby, Rosemary peered at the remaining boy in shock who had grabbed onto Robby's arms. Judging from the evident sway in his step, Rosemary realised he was completely intoxicated. His jaw snapped to the side slightly.

"Simon-" Robby pulled him up to rest against the door frame, coughing at the strong fumes emanating from one of his roommates, whose jaw snapped slightly once again, "-what the fuck have you been drinking?" Rosemary could hear music playing from somewhere within the apartment.

"I-unno..." Simon spot Rosemary's little head of curls and grinned at Robby, his jaw moving again, "Customer? I knew you'd eventually start droppin' 'em to kids" Leaning forward, Rosemary stared the boy down fearlessly, though still kept Robby's body between them. "She's a looker, ain't she?" His jaw movements where starting to irritate her immensely.

"She's here for Jude, now move" He moved in an instant, folding himself back into the apartment while Rosemary followed an inch behind him. Stepping into the apartment, she found herself in both the hallway, lounge, and kitchen. The television on, Rosemary could barely see the feet of Robby's remaining roommate dangling over the couch, whom she presumed was asleep.

"Might wanna wait a tic, pretty sure he's having a wank in there. You want a drink?" Simon asked, bending down slightly to ask Rosemary, his jaw snapping slightly and his hand twitching.

"No thank you" She smiled politely and he shrugged wandering off into one of the closer rooms. "Hey Robby?" He glanced down at her, "Why does he..." She moved her jaw slightly, "...do that?"

"It's one of his 'tics', he has Tourettes" Robby stated, leading her down the hallway as he slipped off his jacket.

"What's Tourettes?"

As they reached the end of the hallway, Robby turned to her and smiled in amusement, "Basically his body doing small weird shit that he doesn't want to do, repeatedly" Knocking on the door, they waited a moment before they heard Jude yell from behind the door. It was only then she realised that the music she could hear was emanating from Jude's room specifically.

"Simon I told you to fuck off!"

"Well that's just rude" Robby called, a slight grin on his face as he leant against the wall. They heard Jude moving around before the door suddenly opened and Jude stood there, panting slightly.